Complete sugar-cut from my diet.

Rachy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Help! I'm a twenty year old female with Type 1 Diabetes and have been diabetic for ten years. I have never had a fantastic diet (major sweet tooth) but it has never affected me that much until recently. I have been feeling quite ill, possibly my move to University played a part in this. And so last week I decided I was going to cut sugar from my diet completely. And by that I mean sourcing the lowest sugar content in foods I could (meat, fish, rice, some veg etc.) I wondered if anybody had tried this before with Diabetes? I know that the body needs sugar to survive but I am hoping I will get a small amount from the food I will be eating. Am I putting myself at risk? Do I need to consult my Doctor? Any help would be so great! :D

pianoman

Hi Rachy and Welcome. Congratulations on University!

I'd say it is always a good idea to only undertake significant changes to your regime after consultation with your health care professionals.

Right off it is very likely (depending on how you eat now) that your insulin needs will go down -- but I'm guessing you already knew that :) Are you comfortable adjusting your own insulin or do you usually rely on your Doctor to advise on that?

My understanding is that: although the body does need Glucose (mostly for the brain and central nervous system) it can make all it needs from dietary Protein so theoretically at least we don't need to eat any carbs BUT a zero-carb diet is impractical and unnecessary. You can stay well nourished on good quality, real whole foods with a natural balance of carbs, fats and proteins, that are naturally low in added sugars, while avoiding refined/processed/concentrated carbohydrates. Don't forget to consider starchy foods like potatoes along with sugar.

You might be interested to read Dr Richard K. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution... he is a long-time Type 1 himself and favours a diet very low in carbohydrates for his patients. Some find his diet a little extreme but you can still borrow some of his ideas without following it to the letter.

Several chapters are available free online: http://www.diabetes-book.com/readit.shtml

Good luck! :D

Rachy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much for the information! I wasn't aware that the body could make Glucose from Protein, and having just Goodled it, I came across gluconeogenesis. So if I'm careful and take on a good quality, whole food diet, I should be ok! Thank you for your help. :)

Rachy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Day One has been amazing, had no sugar at all and feel fantastic with no hypo's :)