Considering asking to go on insulin.

fae36

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all.
Where I'm at now. Low carb diet, averaging 50g carbs per day. On 2x 500mg metformin, 40mg gliclazide and 100mg canagliflozin per day. 19lb overweight. Most recent hba1c of 7.3.
My diabetes nurse is happy with that, but I'm not. Don't feel comfortable being on so many drugs and would preferably have a hba1c <6. I really want to lose weight too. I was managing to maintain weight and began to lose it when put on canagliflozin a month ago.
My biggest worry about insulin is putting weight on but other than that it seems positive. Really want to ask if I can be put on insulin. Bit confused about it all as my nurse seems to think going on insulin is the beginning of the end and wants to keep me of it as long as possible.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Fae
Generally you won't be put on insulin unless you have to be on insulin. I was only put on insulin when the c-peptide test showed I no longer produce much insulin myself. If you are producing your own insulin they tend to use oral medication to help you control your sugar levels. Yes, insulin is a fat storing hormone... so injecting it can cause weight gain as my endo keeps reminding me. If you do need to go on insulin, your medical team will advise and help you to do that. There are some that will use insulin short term to get quick control of sugar levels if they are too high. Your sugar levels do not sound too high... yes they're above normal but not at the point where docs would say you need immediate help to get the level down. My endo is happy with a hbA1c of <7... they don't mind you going up to 8, but prefer you stay under 7 if you can. If you think your oral meds aren't working, ask for the diagnostic tests to be done again to check whether or not you are still producing sufficient insulin.