continuously sick

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I just got over a migraine and haven't fully treated another infection and I get a call this morning from my urologists office letting me know I have a uti and have to start antibiotics straight away. I just don't seem to get a break from migraines, infections, and other issues. It sure makes managing diabetes harder for me. This morning I had a hypo somewhere between 3-4 am. I woke up at 4 am in pain and feeling awful. I know the hypo hangover feeling all too well. I tested and was 6 on my meter so went back to bed and was up at 5 with a reading of 7 and still feeling hungover. I went into work and made a few stupid mistakes and didn't really fully recover from the hypo until mid morning so I must've gone quite low. I've just started antibiotics a few hours ago and praying the uti clears before my urological procedure next week at the hospital. Ugh... anyone here relate to one thing after another and making things harder to manage? Unfortunately for me it means my diabetes becomes quite unpredictable on me when I've got other extra health issues on top of the usual.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sorry that your having such an awful time of late @Mep, hope your procedure goes well next week.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry that your having such an awful time of late @Mep, hope your procedure goes well next week.

thank you :) I'm not looking forward to it... but doing what they want done as part of their investigations. The procedure is done while I'm awake. Normally it shouldn't hurt you if you have nothing wrong, but I do. The last time they did this procedure (which includes filling my bladder with water) I was in tears and they had to stop the water filling part even though they didn't get the required amount back in. The same procedure is illegal to do on someone with my condition in US, but yet they do it here. So basically it is like torture. ugh. That's my reason why I'm not looking forward to it.... will be glad when it is over and done with.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
well I got another infection from the procedure I had. :( not happy. It's a waste of a weekend when I'm so tired I can't seem to do much. On the bright side I only have 1.5 days left of work for the year and a 1.5 week break over christmas/new year. yay!

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
Hi Mep, You have my sympathies, I've been going through a tough time of it since October 2014, had to have emergency surgery and a stay in hospital, infections and due for more surgery in the next 8 weeks. So I understand the whole feeling of being completely shattered all the time but still having to solider on.

I felt that bad that I disengaged from my Meds and G.P and currently just dealing with hospital consultants, I switched to a very LCHF diet and have been feeling much better, plus my BG has fallen into the normal range.
Like you I have other conditions, so it's really hard to catch a break some weeks, months or even years, I hope you catch one soon.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Getting more than your fair share @Mep

Hope it all works out.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My latest update is I'm still dealing with the blasted uti... the same bacteria too apparently. I never got told what the actual infection was because the doc was busy or overseas, etc. So anyhow just to clarify after my last infection in my reply above on 20th Dec... I then had to finish the 5 day course of antibiotics and wait a week and go and hand in a test to pathology. I clearly asked do I need to take the repeat on the script or not? I was told by the urologist's secretary NO. So I did what I was told. I did a test on 29th and I get told I must go to my GP immediately because my urologist is overseas and the test has come back saying I have an infection. I get to my GP surgery and see a different GP (mine was away) and she says no you don't have an infection, just high leucocytes (white blood cells). She then says but this test also shows contamination so you have to do the test again today. So I hand another test in on 30th. I then ring the GP surgery at midday on 31st hoping that was enough time for them to get the result (it normally is). The receptionist tells me that the result has come in but the doc needs to see it first and that she will get back to me. I asked what time is the surgery closing considering it was new years eve... she said 2pm. So come 1.50 pm I still hadn't heard anything so I phoned back and get told they will call me back as the doc still hasn't seen the test. So I eventually get a call at 2.20 pm telling me the result was the exact same as 29th so no you don't have an infection. I got told that the doc wasn't too sure though because of the blood in the urine so she wanted me to go on antibiotics over the new year break just to be safe. I did just that. I then see my urologist yesterday for a consult about my bladder condition. She says Pamela do you know you have an infection? I said no I don't have an infection. She replied yes you do, then shows me the test result... same one that went to the doc. She commented that maybe the doc at my GP surgery looked at the wrong test. arrghhh. So then she said Pamela how many days of antibiotics are you taking? I said 5 as that is all the pack gives me. She said no you're to take 10 days worth and that means you're to get the repeat on the script and then do the pathology test a week later. I said well thanks but your secretary didn't mention that and I asked her about the repeat and she said I only had to take 1 course. I said to me one course is what is in the pack. She replied no no my rule is you must take the repeat also. I said ok, well you might want to advise your staff about that considering this is the first time I've spoken to you about my infection. She apologised. Then she added oh by the way you have an infection that can cause and/or indicate kidney stones so I'm required to get you to have a kidney scan. Far out! So now I'm on 10 day course again and I have to wait a week and get a pathology test done... then I have to get a kidney scan done as well. I hope I don't have kidney stones. She commented that the type of infection I have needs to be treated quickly. Geez... so this all started beginning of December and it's still going. That also means over a month of crazy sugar levels... driving me nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mep, You have my sympathies, I've been going through a tough time of it since October 2014, had to have emergency surgery and a stay in hospital, infections and due for more surgery in the next 8 weeks. So I understand the whole feeling of being completely shattered all the time but still having to solider on.

I felt that bad that I disengaged from my Meds and G.P and currently just dealing with hospital consultants, I switched to a very LCHF diet and have been feeling much better, plus my BG has fallen into the normal range.
Like you I have other conditions, so it's really hard to catch a break some weeks, months or even years, I hope you catch one soon.

You have my sympathies too.... sounds like you're having a rough time of it. It really becomes a juggling act to try and keep everything treated and controlled doesn't it. I'm glad to hear you have had success with your diet change. Here's to hoping you can catch a break also.