Cortisone Tablets and Injections

Bobsummit

Hi There

I recently had cortisone tablets prescribed (15mg a day taken in the morning). At the same time I had to start Insulin injections (having been on metformine, 850, for 3 years after 9 years of diet/exercise control - holding at 7 on my quarterly blood tests).

I was started on 6 units per day and with a 12 hour delay pen and told to increase it as necessary. At that time (early December) I was still around 7 in the morning but shooting up to between 10 and 14 at lunch and in the evening.

I duly increased the daily injection and bit by bit have now reached a morning injection of 22 units. The problem is that the readings have hardly changed. this morning my blood test was 7 and lunch was 14.

I hope my cortisone treatment is only short term and I can switch back to just metformine but should I be worried by the 14 results on a daily basis or just accept that that is the penalty of getting mobility and controlling severe pain.

At what point can continual daily readings of 14 have long term serious repercussions

Hope someone can help

Cheers

Bob

alaska

Bobsummit

Hi Ed

I think I screwed up my attempted reply so here goes another one

Thanks for your support on my post I had almost given up getting any.

There appears to be little or no info on cortisone tablets, on longer duration, rather than one off injections I have been taking them daily for two months now (to alleviate Polymialgia Rheumatica) and have no idea how long I will have to continue. My Doctor doesn't seem to be worried about readings of 14, or even above, later in the day but happy with regular 6 - 8 in the mornings.

No disrepect intended but I think I will re-post my concerns under the Polymialgia heading to see if it prompts any from someone with similar condition and the tablet rather than injection issue

Cheers

Bob,