Type 2 Counting carbs.

MargJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After asking about testing my blood glucose,several people mentioned being on a low carb diet. That's the opposite of what the diabetic nurse advised me. I was told low fat, low sugar and low salt but that other carbs were fine. I cut out all sweets, biscuits and cakes but did not count carbs or calories. I lost a stone and a half in six months, so must be doing something right. I now have a normal BMI for the first time in years. Do I need to count carbs too?
Apparently my cholesterol was worse problem than the blood sugar level and I started taking statins 2 months ago and that is now down to 3.2. Wanted to stop the statins but doc advised against that.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No-one has proved that saturated fat is a problem despite what the urban myth says so stop worrying about that. If it gives you a problem then stop eating it. I agree with your nurse that you should cut out sugar and while you are at it cut out flour as much as you can.

The current recommendation is that you should have up to 6g of salt a day and since it is essential for life I shouldn't cut too much of it out.

You can count carbs if you want to but you seem to be doing fine.

The jury is still out on statins and I will not suggest that you go against your doctors advice.

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @MargJ

If you have cut out all sweets, biscuits and cakes then you will have not only reduced your calorie intake but you will have also cut your carbs, even if you haven't been counting them. So well done on that front.

Carbs come in many forms, for diabetics, pasta, rice, bread and potato seem to cited as the main offenders, why not start by keeping a record of what you eat to see what your carb intake actually is. The reference daily intake is 260g and I am currently around 120g. There are people on the forum a long way below my level, but don't get stressed about getting down ultra low in 1 go, take it in stages and see how you get on.

Carbs turn to glucose easily once inside the body so moderating your intake 'may' help you to gain better control of your diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people