Damning report on DVLA by ombudsman

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Brief summary taken from the 4 page summary at the start of the report for those who want to decide whether to read all 56 pages: (DMG is the drivers medical group who assess whether you are fit to drive on medical grounds)

"Taking into account the regulatory and legislative requirements on DVLA, we expect DMG to:

• make fitness to drive decisions in accordance with the law and guidance;
• operate an open and transparent decision-making process, so that the public can understand the reasons for its decisions;
• take relevant factors into account and discount irrelevant ones; and
• engage with the public and stakeholders so that there is clarity about its roles and responsibilities and so that licence holders and other stakeholders properly understand what is required of them.

Our investigations have shown that this does not currently happen. We have found fault in the way that DMG operates, which means that it is not meeting its obligations. We have seen no evidence that proper standards or criteria are in place to enable DMG to meet its required aim of road safety. We have seen no attempt to relate medical conditions to functional ability to drive safely. We have also seen a lack of assessment of condition specific risks and how those risks might affect road safety."

It's a really fascinating albeit horrible read.

Reactions: sandra curtis

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Thank you for the link @tigger, wow:wideyed: ..errmmmm:confused:...yikes :eek:...phew :D we think that's really the end of it? No more run ins every 3 years? I'm not so sure, my MP has rescued me many more times than he should have needed to...watch this space I guess.. still wow :D xx