Dapagliflozin instead of metformin!!

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well folks, saw my nurse practitioner tonight and after my tummy problems with metformin he has given me dapagliflozin 10mg, apparently no tummy side effects- but as it works by making glucose leave the body in urine I may get thrush......anyone else out there on dapagliflozin? He said it is new .

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not yet but in my review on 14th July if my hba1c is not around the 50 mark I will be put on it. Bit daunting as its a new drug. Would be interested to see if anyone has been on it xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Relieved to be off the metformin as the tummy upset was awful! Been looking for info on it on the net and it seems really new!! Will be reading the info leaflet tomorrow when I collect them!! It works by clearing glucose out via urine apparently! x

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes Ive heard..downside is thrush and utis..cant win can we lol. I had exactly the same trouble with metformin and im now on gliclazide which isnt as effective as theyd hoped so may well be joining you in a couple of weeks!!!

Reactions: 2 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will let you know how it goes with me.........keep me posted on yours too x

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited by a moderator:

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Gordon, so far so good........yesterday and today I've had first ever 6's when testing, even after food!! Yes, I keep a diary of tests and food, really feeling more positive now

simco999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the info Kimbo - I'll talk to my nurse when I have my review in a couple of weeks. Metformin gives me probs too. Trouble is I'm on meds for Oral Thrush - yuk. 1st time I've had it.

Zaphod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
fatty food,
Well folks, saw my nurse practitioner tonight and after my tummy problems with metformin he has given me dapagliflozin 10mg, apparently no tummy side effects- but as it works by making glucose leave the body in urine I may get thrush......anyone else out there on dapagliflozin? He said it is new .

I started on 5mg forxiga 4 months ago (also 2xmetf 40mg gliclazide), I like the effect except the fungal infection, but that is easily controlled. My dose has been increased to 10 mg and my gliclazide reduced to 20mg. Like the fact that my bg are much better controlled although not had Hba1c since starting new dose.
Gliclazide caused my weight to increase slightly dapa causes it to reduce. I am now just waiting for the six pack to show.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey Kimbo How's it going? X

Hiya Jaxx......going really good!! Feel so much better, combination of the dapagliflozin and now two weeks into lchf- yesterday I was in the 5's all day and even one hour after lunch was only 6.1!! No side effects yet either so fingers crossed..........how's you doing? x x

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am still just on my gliclazide but having a really weird day. Ive struggled for about 6/7 weeks to get my levels below 8/9 but today despite waking at 15 my levels have dropped abd arent budging :/ really weird!!

So glad its working for you. Sounds good :) I dont feel so paniced about using it now!! Xx

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am still just on my gliclazide but having a really weird day. Ive struggled for about 6/7 weeks to get my levels below 8/9 but today despite waking at 15 my levels have dropped abd arent budging :/ really weird!!

So glad its working for you. Sounds good :) I dont feel so paniced about using it now!! Xx

Can you think of anything you have had to keep your levels up? Seems strange?? Really feel so much different already, has to be part the new meds!! x x

10pack

Hello I was on a clinical trial a few years back for something similar to this, the company that was supplying the meds was called Astralas or similar.
they gave a 7 tablets to take each day and a meter to get them readings.

For me it worked really well, my sugars in mornings was around 5.2 (came down from 7.8) I even lost weight as a side effect.

the trial lasted 3 months and for a month after I had stopped taking their meds I still had low sugars (and was only taking metformin), then all of a sudden my sugars went high I was getting 8.8 and higher readings.
when I went back to see the doc he put me on Gliclazide 80mg, after a few days I had my first hypo, after my second hypo I went back to see him he gave me 30mg slow release version did not have hypos after that.

My blood sugar has climbed higher over the past few years and often in the morning I can get 9.6 but other mornings can get 8.0.
I am now working again after being out of work for a few years, I worked a night shift and my sugar level shot through the roof got 20.4 reading and for most of the week I worked the night shift my sugar level did not drop below 12 :(

The doctor tells me shift work is not good for diabetics :(

marionl56

I started on 5mg forxiga 4 months ago (also 2xmetf 40mg gliclazide), I like the effect except the fungal infection, but that is easily controlled. My dose has been increased to 10 mg and my gliclazide reduced to 20mg. Like the fact that my bg are much better controlled although not had Hba1c since starting new dose.
Gliclazide caused my weight to increase slightly dapa causes it to reduce. I am now just waiting for the six pack to show.
I have been on dapagliflozin since it first was released at first i lost 9llbs and felt fine i am now coming off of it as I have had continuous thrush since 2 weeks of starting thought i could put up with it because my levels were amazing but now levels are getting higher and thrush worse i hope it will help you the thrush got too much for me x i was on it over 7months xx

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Going back onto Forxiga and metformin tomorrow.... i was taken off metformin because iron levels low however they still low and not been on metformin so they know it is not that causing the iron low....been on Humalog mix am and tea time so now will be on insulin am and dropped to 6 which is low .... can nto have iron tablets un till after CT scan next monday so all in all Muddled to say the least lol :bag: