Daughter with Type 1

Geoff35

Hi there my daughter has recently been diagnosed with Type 1 and is so far happy with all the injections. However since been diagnosed she has complained about her knee hurting, (she is 3 in November), has anyone else experienced this, should we be worried??

We did mention it when she was 1st diagnosed and she was in hospital, the nurses did not seem bothered by it but this is 6 weeks or so on now and nearly every morning she wakes complaining her knee hurts :-( and often complains during the day that it hurts??

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Geoff35 said:
Hi there my daughter has recently been diagnosed with Type 1 and is so far happy with all the injections. However since been diagnosed she has complained about her knee hurting, (she is 3 in November), has anyone else experienced this, should we be worried??

We did mention it when she was 1st diagnosed and she was in hospital, the nurses did not seem bothered by it but this is 6 weeks or so on now and nearly every morning she wakes complaining her knee hurts :-( and often complains during the day that it hurts??

I am so sorry to hear that Geoff, my heart goes out to you. Could it be that inwardly she is not coping with the diabetes and her having a a pain somewhere else may take away the diabetes issue and the focus is now on the knee :problem: I know shes coming up to 3, but it could be a possibility. I would go and see your GP for some advice as shes so young. Diabetes is a huge thing to cope with, because a very young family member of mine was diagnosed last year with type 1. Please could you let us know how you get on and how she is. With best wishes RRB

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hello Geoff,

Hard to see how the two are related (diabetes & sore knee) but you just never know with diabetes, I would do as RRB suggests and take your daughter along to see her gp and get the knee examined, pleased she is coping with the injections and do stay in touch and let us know how she gets on.

Geoff35

It is a possibility, she does seem to complain the most when she has just been told off :crazy:

We do have clinic tomorrow afternoon so will mention it to them see how they react, just scared they going to start poking her again :oops:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Geoff35 said:
It is a possibility, she does seem to complain the most when she has just been told off :crazy:

We do have clinic tomorrow afternoon so will mention it to them see how they react, just scared they going to start poking her again :oops:

I hope it goes well tomorrow afternoon :) children can be very cunning at times, even a 3 year old, bless her. Good luck RRB

marcusblack

Robinredbreast said:
Geoff35 said:

I am so sorry to hear that Geoff, my heart goes out to you. Could it be that inwardly she is not coping with the diabetes and her having a a pain somewhere else may take away the diabetes issue and the focus is now on the knee :problem: I know shes coming up to 3, but it could be a possibility. I would go and see your GP for some advice as shes so young. Diabetes is a huge thing to cope with, because a very young family member of mine was diagnosed last year with type 1. Please could you let us know how you get on and how she is. With best wishes RRB

I was diagnosed at 2 and a half years old (am 37 now) and, according to my mother, I complained about a few random irrelevant pains in the first 6 or 7 months of being diagnosed (but not prior to diagnosis) - back in the 70's I guess things were much different to now and I really don't know what they did but it could be that the poster quoted above is correct as I apparently went through something similar (although it wasn't as focussed as one area)! Wish I could be more help sorry

LaughingHyena

I was diagnosed 2 years ago this week. Eek.

I think I must have spent quite a while undiagnosed, which may have affected things but I did have lots of pains in my feet and legs in the months afterwards. They started a couple of months after diagnosis and went on for several months. I think I was taking tablets for nearly a year to deal with it all. According to my consultant it's not that uncommon to have some symptoms as your body adjusts back to better sugar levels, though most of the other people I saw didn't seem to have come across is and made all sorts of suggections as to the causes.

I would definalty ask about it and see what you can find out. I know it''s so much harder when they are little, mine still can't really describe a pain or where it is and they are quite a bit older.

Ash.J.S

Hi Geoff, it is always a shame to hear of someone so young being diagnosed and my heart truly goes out to you and your daughter :(

I was diagnosed in march 2011 (turned 18 in that april) and when i was in hospital i remember having knee pains whilst in there however when i started my insulin treatment and brought my BG back under control the pains went away almost instantly, however naturally i realise that different people react to treatment differently and perhaps in your daughter's case it may take longer for her knee pains to go away.

I hope this helps you buddy

take care