Dealing with Hypo Pain

twedspeed

Hi I recently had a hypo and after getting my levels back to normal I,m in great pain - Headaches and muscle and joint ache , as well as feeling sick.
Has anybody got any sugestions of how to make me feel better - what strong pain killers do you reccomend ?

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi twedspeed,
Hypos can make you feel really bad. For me I've not had the really bad headaches but I do get tired. I'm type 1 diagnosed 3 years ago. I'm a 62 year male with a 20 year old daughter who was diagnosed with type 1 when she was 9 years old, so I've lived with diabetes for quite a few years.

What type are you and are you on insulin...not novorapid and levemir or lantus(glargine). Some folk just cannot take analogue insulins and get tiredness/fatigue, foggy head, sleepy, muscle and joint pains and can have problems with BG control. Look up Lantus on the diabetic forums to see some of the HELL that analogue insulins can cause. Have your vit D, Vit B12, blood pressure tested. These are tests that, for some reasons, don't get tested as part of the normal diabetic tests. I'm now on animal porcine insulin and feeling much better than when I used novorapid and levemir and later lantus(glargine). Get all the usual tiredness test like thyroids iron just in case there are other problems. After going through 3 years of HELL, I would recommend that you first look at what sort of insulins you're on.

the_exile

Hi twedspeed,

I get the headaches after a hypo, I call them "rebound headaches"! I was on Lantus for years and they were really bad and used to be coupled with me basically wanting to shut down and go to sleep, intense tiredenss, I managed to get switched to Levemir and although the headaches are still there and the lethargy is still present, it's nowhere near as bad, I can't say if it was due to the Lantus or not but if you'r eon that it might be worth asking for a change, only thing about levemir is that it's 2 injections instead of the single lantus one.

If you're already on Levemir try asking your GP for strong painkillers, I got prescribed codine I think and they definitely helped, but they are really really strong, I only used to take one if I was struggling badly with it.

Good luck :)

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi the-exile,
About your tiredness etc....I see that you've come off Lantus but now on Levemir but still have the tiredness. I was on Levemir and the tiredness started about a month after starting levemir. Mt dose went up tp 100units a day split 50/50 to try and get my morning BGs under control. Felt all drugged up so I changed to lantus(28 units) without any success. Felt so bad I had to reduce my hours of work. After numerous tests all ok my DSN told me that she had no idea why I was so tired/drugged up feelings so I looked up lantus and tiredness and FOUND out that some people cannot take analogue insulin. Analogue and human insulins don't work for me so I managed to get porcine insulins after a lot of BEGGING my diabetes team and hospital trust. After being on porcine for nearly 2 months, all the drugged up feelings and most of the tiredness have GOOONNNNEEEE.Wow. Luckly I've not had a headache after hypos on a regular basis just the odd one. It was after I had a BAD night hypo. I'm now trying to get my doses right...depending on what I'm doing of have done during the day. Keep an eye on the levemir and how much you take as compared to lantus. Speak to your DSN about the tiredness, if it persists try porcine (animal insulin) if they'll let you try it. Read up on lantus/levemir on the diabetes forums ...an eye opener.