diabetes and car license.

ukgeoff

After being diagnosed late april/may.. i sent my license away (photo license was up for 10 year renewal in june) and also enclosed the change of medical circumstances.....

Anyway..due to go on holiday to usa in july so car rental is a must.... so I phoned the dvla to get an update on my license....and after many abortive attempts to get through the Computerised answering system to speak to someone human... i got this answer...

Apparently...it was only passed to the medical section on june 10th :shock: and still no action has been taken or any attempt to contact the doctor.... .. and the DVLA can't say wether I will recieve my license back before mid july or even the end of july...

reading DVLA's web site... apparently it can take 90 days to make any license alterations... 90 days....

They did say they could fax the car rental company... but more often than not..they dont accept it...

so beware..if you get diagnosed..and want to rent a car... leave plenty of time to do it... i thought 2 months would be fine.. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

BigKevSters

Hi
Sorry to hear your plight.

One question, are you type 1 or type 2, because the latter "unless using insulin" I believe is not notifiable?

Sue Morton

That right if you are Type 2 you don't need to inform DVLA but if Type one you have to inform them and also inform your insurance as I was relieved to see that as I am type 2 and drive 108 miles every day so was extremely worried at first and found out the above and what a relief it was.

Sue :eek:

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It only took them a couple of weeks to do mine, 90 days must be for complicated cases I'd think?

ukgeoff

according to dvla... you do *not* need to inform them if you control diabetes with diet... or even if you take tablets........ unless you drive a hire/rental/psv licence.....

if you do use insulin in type 2 (i did when i was first diagnosed in hospital 2 or 3 months ago.. (I havnt' now for a month or used tablets......but i need it to be made official by the doc/diabetic nurse..)...you do need to tell them in all cases.....

complicated...i just think theres one person doing medical conditions now.... :lol:
its spent 11 days in the in tray without any action being taken on it as yet...

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
it took me a year and three medicals with different doctors for them to agree i was stable to drive... then when i sent my licence of for renewal i got it back within two weeks... one extreme to the other!

and i have to go through that every three years. aggghh.

josie38

I have type 1 and when i got in touch with dvla about a provisional they told to download the medical questionnaire from the website to fill in cuz they would have to send me the form in the post which would take the wait time from 6 weeks to 3 months.