Diabetes Education session - long moany rant.

Jellyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Almost six months after diagnosis, I finally had my Diabetes education session today. I was hoping for some new information or at least confirmation I was doing the right thing and maybe speaking to some others who had been having similar symptoms.

There was nothing wrong with the session - but it seemed like it was aimed at people who didn't know anything about diabetes or indeed anything about basic biology. There were seven of us, two with partners and I was by far the youngest there. (Average age probably around 60-65). One man asked if he could still take sugar in his tea and one woman didn't know that no added sugar squash was available.
I asked about LCHF diet - to be met with surprise. I also asked what the opinion was on self testing - again - told absolutely no need for testing.
All they seemed to say was, one on hand - everything low sugar and low fat but saying that - you could eat just want you want, but less of it. There wasn't much said about carbs apart from sugar. She seemed disapproving when I said I had been eating frozen raspberries with plain yoghurt - my diabetes nurse said that was fine.

I know deep down that I am doing fine but this afternoon didn't help with that and now I think I just need to work on my own plan as to what to do next.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

sadly this seems typical of most of these courses. I didn't even go to the one I was invited to as I saw it was being presented by my own nurse, so I knew what she would be saying.

You must make up your own mind of course, but it is very logical that as all carbs turn to sugar once in the system then carbs cannot be good for type 2's. Testing is the only way to find a suitable diet that is personal to you and that you can sustain for life.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup, same old story. Trouble is, most people don't want to change and the NHS presumably thinks persuading them to eat less bad stuff is about as much as can be expected. Stick with us and hope the NHS policy changes eventually. You did well to keep the peace.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I did the X Pert course last May ,they gave us a volume 7 book which is way out of date.and the lady talked from the book.
She was intresting but I know now she gave wrong information.
Stick with the forum for proper information.

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's more or less what I was told 4 years ago. The attitude was very much "it's JUST type 2 diabetes" so I ignored it for 4 years until i began feeling cold,constantly exhausted and my hair began falling out. I googled my symptoms and it pointed to both type 2 or thyroid. Since I already knew i have type 2 it was a huge wake up call to take it seriously, did some research and that's how I found this forum. I spoke to my dr and asked for some testing strips on prescription (aviva strips very expensive and before I got my code free) and she said she wasn't convinced that me testing was the way forward. What ever that's supposed to mean! I asked her how I am supposed to know what foods so to my bg levels if I don't test and she just repeated that she didn't think testing is right for me!! It's like being fobbed off and it's annoying

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bluetit,
Naughty Muggle has only had breakfast today, and is now feeling sickly.
Sorry Im telling on her, but what should she do.

You need to put this on your own thread Milly, so as not to derail this thread.

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
I have mine later in March.
To be fair my nurse did eventually tell me to cut back on the carbs 30g portion sizes - and I know that 30g is a pretty small piece of potato or pile of pasta. I suspect that many folk would have no idea what 30g of potato looks like.
Too much printed advice is "limit your sugar, but you don't have to cut it out completely". Now what on Earth does that mean? Just poison yourself occasionally?
Yesterday at choir a friend won the raffle, his prize included some chocolates which he was goingto give to his wife (who is diabetic (T2 I think)). When I jokingly said she wouldn't want them, his response was that she doesn't pay much attention to her diet. I suspect this is sadly true. I bet her medical advice didn't help much.