Diabetes or 'just' hypoglycemia?

BCD

In the past two years or so I have developed symptoms akin to hypoglycemia. I get incredibly tired, lethargic, irritable and touchy. The main symptom is feeling dizzy/shaky/unsteady, mainly in the legs.

This is solved by taking 3 or 4 glucose tablets (GlucoTabs). I'm usually fine after 20 minutes. So, it is more an inconvenience than anything else.

But, these symptoms can overlap with diabetes, too. I'm having a blood test this week.

Am I worrying about nothing (i.e. do I have diabetes?) or is it just a case of hypoglycemia?

To make matters worse, I suffer from acid-type problems in my throat. so it is really difficult for me to eat anything substantial. I get through a day just snacking on bananas or biscuits. I eat no lunch and only a light breakfast.

(I'm in the UK, btw)

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I think your problem is that you are not eating enough carbs, even non diabetics go shakey and feel tired the same as a hypo when they have not eaten. A friend of mine runs around all day long after her hubby and kids and then feel shakey and when i ask her has she eaten she replys no only a small yougot and this is at 3pm in the afternoon, she then buys herself a mars bar on the way to the school and within 20mins she feels ok.

Try and eat a few more carbs during the day especially if you are active, i know you mentioned about the acid in your throat but would bread or pasta or even potatoes effect this?

Tracey167

BCD

Thanks for the replies.

I know that I don't eat enough (I'm not underweight, bizarely), but I just cannot eat anything substantial without having the acid making me feel as though I am choking. The only food that doesn't affect me is bananas.

I've now had a blood test and I'm waiting for the results. Would a blood test reveal any hypoglycemia?