In the last 18 months, my low carb options have been disappearing so I have substituted them with items that are still low carb, but not as low, so now I am eating around 60 grams of carbs per day. My hba1c is now hovering at 40mmol, I did have one result at 42mmol (my most recent two being 40mmol).
What I wanted to ask is, what does “diabetes resolved” actually mean to me? Will I now stop getting the eye screening and other checks that I was getting (hba1c, cholesterol, kidney function etc)? If so is there anything I can do about it as this worries me as I think I am still diabetic?
The doctor I spoke to is the doctor that assigned to deal with the diabetic patients.
Eating 60g a day means your hba1c goes to prediabetic levels. Not a serious suggestion, because it would damage your body, but if you went to normal levels of carbs (eg 150g a day) as recommended by the NHS eatwell plate, you'd manage a diabetic hba1c in no time.
So the answer is that eating sufficiently low carb puts your diabetes in remission, not that it's resolved. Any chance you could see a different doctor?
As regards the lows, how confident are you that the 3.1 wasn't just a meter error? High 3s are normal for non diabetics and not a concern because they don't go lower.
Buy your own strips and keep testing.
Good luck. (And well done on achieving remission.)
Your doctor is very wrong. Can you try and see another?
I found that the "Diabetes Care Doctor" at our surgery knew very little about T2 and just signed the prescriptions written by the Diabetes Nurse (who to be honest didn't know much more either).
https://www.berkshirewestccg.nhs.uk/media/1507/diabetes-201cin-remission201d-coding.pdf
View attachment 46908
Judging by the way this is worded, that looks like I wouldn’t get any further checks?
I don’t think my doctor is any more clued up either to be honest. The diabetic nurse has just retired and has been replaced with someone that seems to have less knowledge than the doctor.
As the doctor that I spoke to is the designated diabetes doctor, the normal protocol is that you speak to that doctor If it’s in connection with your diabetes. If I could get to speak to another doctor, they would probably refer me back to him. I don’t know if this would make matters worse.
Judging by the way this is worded, that looks like I wouldn’t get any further checks?
Quite simply you need a new dr.The problem is that I’ve told him my results. I went to A&E for something unconnected and they tested my blood sugar has I hadn’t eaten for 5 hours and it was 12. I told him this too. He said I shouldn’t be testing for highs and that my hba1c is coming out as a non diabetic reading. I said that it is probably averaging out my highs and lows to show as normal and he just said “hmm”.
Yes you need a new dr. You should still get all the check-ups -I do - although I sometimes have to fight for them *sigh*
Please don’t. You’ll still have a dinosaur dr and worse health. Challenge the one you have or even better change.That’s what’s worrying me. Part of me (and I know this is stupid) thinks is it worth following the NHS Eat Well Plate for 3 months, which would give me a diabetic HBA1C. I don’t want to risk my health, but if I’m going to stop getting the checks, isn’t that worse, than 3 months of “normal” carbs. Can I ask if you are coded as Resolved or In Remission?
Better to buy your own strips, test 7 times a day and keep records for a few weeks.That’s what’s worrying me. Part of me (and I know this is stupid) thinks is it worth following the NHS Eat Well Plate for 3 months, which would give me a diabetic HBA1C. I don’t want to risk my health, but if I’m going to stop getting the checks, isn’t that worse, than 3 months of “normal” carbs. Can I ask if you are coded as Resolved or In Remission?
I'm concerned about the lows. I'll ask @Lamont D who is very knowledgeable about reactive hypoglycemia to comment (not saying you've got this but there are a number of insulin irregularities that get tested for on the way to a RH diagnosis). 3.1 not's low enough to make you unconscious but you probably wouldn't be safe to drive.
A good endo (guess you're not going to see one till after lockdown) would be able to do the right tests and work out what is going on with your body. I'd ask for a referral.
Good luck. I'm sorry your doctor is being such a <insert favourite derogatory term here>.
So maybe a mixture of the two might be to blame?
The only mention I can find of low carb diets causing hypos is in the first few weeks of one, when the body is converting from a high fat diet. The best treatment for reactive hypoglcemia appears to be to eat low carb (RHers over produce insulin in response to carbs so get hypo a few hours after eating them). Is there an alternative drug you can use other than nortryptiline?
Hypos on low carb are almost always only because of medications also taken. If you are low carb without medication hypos are extremely unlikely. Effectively it is because the medication is now stronger in the blood glucose lowering effects than your new diet needs it to be. You might however experience false hypos where you feel horribly low even though you’re not, a product of becoming accustomed to high levels and being shocked by more normal ones all of a sudden.When I googled “diabetes resolved” to try and find out what that meant in terms of ongoing monitoring, one of the pages mentioned about a low carb diet can result in hypos. I clicked on that many pages I don’t know where it was now! Also I take a tablet called Nortriptyline which can cause hypos. So maybe a mixture of the two might be to blame?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?