Diagnosed for 7 weeks Type 1

Kaylipops85

Hi There Peeps,

I was diagnosed on 24th November with having type 1 diabetes. I had symptoms since around July and lost 3 stone in weight, incredible thirst etc etc. As i was diagnosed i also had high ketones (4?) but i did not need to go to hospital.
I inject Novomix twice a day (AM & PM) although my units are still going up and down during this learning curve. I'm just a little overwhemled with all the information and what the terminology/ levels means still. Just wondered if anyone had any useful tips etc about how to deal with this.
I have also found myself recently having hypo's more regular - nothing i can't handle but i feel that the regime i currently on is not as flexable as i would like.
I have also found i have put on weight again :( around half - a stone!!!! So any hints and tips on how to shift this would be great.
Anything anyone can provide mne with will be great
Thank you in advance
Kayleigh

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Kayleigh,

It's early days and your insulin requirements fluctuating means you are probably in the Honeymoon Period, to reduce your hypo's you need to speak with your DSN about reducing your insulin doses or upping your carb intake.

As for flexibility the regime you are now on isn't very flexible at all, you could ask your DSN to switch you over to a basal/bolus regime which gives you far greater control over what and when you eat....once you have been on basal/bolus for around 6 months you can enroll on a carb counting course such as DAFNE (Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating) which teaches patients to adjust their insulin to the food (carbs) you eat.

As for losing weight you could also ask to see a dietitian as part of your diabetes care package, here is a comprehensive list of the jargon used in diabetes:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-jargon.html

Best wishes! :)

AMBrennan

I'm not quite sure about your weight (I assume that you regained the 3 stone you lost plus 1/2) but I would not be overly concerned about a small weight gain at this stage - newly diagnosed patients will inevitably gain the weight they would have had if it hadn't been for diabetes.