Diagnosed in July.

wescom89

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
New to the forum but wanted to share my experience, which has been a bit of a whirlwind.

I was diagnosed as diabetic on 4th July with a hbac1 level of 105, which I was told is dangerously high.

I had gone in for blood tests for an unrelated issue, and had no symptoms to my knowledge of being diabetic. When I got my results it was a massive shock, but it shouldn’t been as I had a terrible diet of sweets & fast foods.

I was immediately put on 4x metformin a day and also 1 Ramipril a day for my bp. I also started slimming world immediately to try and lose as much weight as I could.

In that time I’ve stuck to my diet, I’ve had the odd treat but very few and far between. I’ve managed to lose 3 stone so far although my goal is 5 stone.

I had my first 3 month review yesterday and my Hbac1 is now 40. I can’t describe how over the moon I am with that and it’s given me confidence I’ve been doing the right things.

My Metformin is now being dropped to 3 a day until another review in 3 months time, where hopefully it can be dropped again.

I just wanted to share this for other newly diagnosed people who may be worried and finding it a bit overwhelming as I did, to show that getting this under control is possible.

Attachments

• IMG_4311.jpeg
    IMG_4311.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4312.jpeg
    IMG_4312.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 82

Mr Clean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent! Congratulations. Gives the rest of us newly diagnosed some hope for the future.

Reactions: wescom89

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome and wow! That is hugely impressive and well done, you have achieved great results in such a short time! Congratulations :cool:

Reactions: wescom89

wescom89

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent! Congratulations. Gives the rest of us newly diagnosed some hope for the future.
Thankyou, i know when I first got diagnosed it was a bit overwhelming with all the info you get given but you still have so many questions especially regarding eating right etc, so to get a good result gives a bit of validation. I haven’t gone ultra low carb like I’ve seen a lot of people recommended but it is heavily reduced from what I would previously intake.

Reactions: MrsA2 and Mr Clean

Mr Clean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou, i know when I first got diagnosed it was a bit overwhelming with all the info you get given but you still have so many questions especially regarding eating right etc, so to get a good result gives a bit of validation. I haven’t gone ultra low carb like I’ve seen a lot of people recommended but it is heavily reduced from what I would previously intake.
I'm the same. I was having 1000s of grams of carbs per day. I'm now down to 150g or less but only two months in since diagnosis. I have my next HBAC1 check at the end of December. Hopefully the numbers come right down.

Reactions: MrsA2 and wescom89

wescom89

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm the same. I was having 1000s of grams of carbs per day. I'm now down to 150g or less but only two months in since diagnosis. I have my next HBAC1 check at the end of December. Hopefully the numbers come right down.
Sounds very similar to how I was too, never even gave carbs a second thought then looking back you realise how bad it actually was. And I’ve been keeping my carbs to around 160-180g so again very similar. Got everything crossed for you! I’ll keep an eye for your update.