Disability Allowance Ireland

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi There

I am looking for any information regarding above. I know you cant claim disability allowance just because you are diabetic but I am wondering if there is any point for me to make a claim if I suffer from other conditions?

I have intercranial hypertension, diabetes and possibly lupus (pending verification). The diabetes doesnt really prevent me from working as such, but the intercranial hypertension does. I will give you and example.
On Monday I may get up and I am fresh as a daisy ready to work, and on my legs all day not a bother
On tuesday I will wake up and I cant even lift my arm, never mind get up and go toilet without assistance.... The headaches, pains in my legs and overall fatigue and feeling of tiredness just doesnt allow me to do anything. All i can manage is to sit on the couch and breath. My neurologist said that will happen and there is nothing I can do about it. Also my vision field is affected by the conditions, so is my central vision. As for my central vision one day its fine and next everything is blurry when the pressure raises.

Hence I am wondering if I can make a claim? You can imagine there is no way I can have an employment if 4-5 days out of the week I am unable to even get ouuta bed, let alone work. I have no way of predicting if I will be ok the next day. Some days I will be fine in the morning and then I will get extremely dizzy and even faint in the afternoon.

And just to make it clear. I want to work. I would love to work. I am actually ashamed that I cannot work, and thinking about claiming makes me uneasy but I have to live on something. I am also worried they will deny my application as it is not typically seen as disability.

Any help will be welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Pam,

I'm not sure how the system works and whether or not you would qualify, have you thought about contacting the Citizen's Advice Bureau and asking them for assistance.

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Pam,

I'm not sure how the system works and whether or not you would qualify, have you thought about contacting the Citizen's Advice Bureau and asking them for assistance.
I have never heard of citizen advice bureau in Ireland but I will look it up thanks

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would have thought the first person to discuss this with is your doctor as I imagine he/she would need to sign off on the medical aspects of your condition/s in any application.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi There

I am looking for any information regarding above. I know you cant claim disability allowance just because you are diabetic but I am wondering if there is any point for me to make a claim if I suffer from other conditions?

I have intercranial hypertension, diabetes and possibly lupus (pending verification). The diabetes doesnt really prevent me from working as such, but the intercranial hypertension does. I will give you and example.
On Monday I may get up and I am fresh as a daisy ready to work, and on my legs all day not a bother
On tuesday I will wake up and I cant even lift my arm, never mind get up and go toilet without assistance.... The headaches, pains in my legs and overall fatigue and feeling of tiredness just doesnt allow me to do anything. All i can manage is to sit on the couch and breath. My neurologist said that will happen and there is nothing I can do about it. Also my vision field is affected by the conditions, so is my central vision. As for my central vision one day its fine and next everything is blurry when the pressure raises.

Hence I am wondering if I can make a claim? You can imagine there is no way I can have an employment if 4-5 days out of the week I am unable to even get ouuta bed, let alone work. I have no way of predicting if I will be ok the next day. Some days I will be fine in the morning and then I will get extremely dizzy and even faint in the afternoon.

And just to make it clear. I want to work. I would love to work. I am actually ashamed that I cannot work, and thinking about claiming makes me uneasy but I have to live on something. I am also worried they will deny my application as it is not typically seen as disability.

Thanks.
Your doctor will know if your needs would likely qualify you for income support, and I'd ask also ask about an assessment for in-home support at the same time.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi There

Thanks.
Hi
Yes you definatley should apply for disability, when you send in your application attach any kind of letters from consultants, diabetic nurses etc.... as it really does help as this is the proof they want to see. If you can also send in a print off of your blood glucose readings for example 2 to 3 months worth then they can see the highs and lows in your glucose readings.

tracey167

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Yes you definatley should apply for disability, when you send in your application attach any kind of letters from consultants, diabetic nurses etc.... as it really does help as this is the proof they want to see. If you can also send in a print off of your blood glucose readings for example 2 to 3 months worth then they can see the highs and lows in your glucose readings.

tracey167
Thank you. I am still getting all the notes together. I requested the notes from hospital and I am waiting on them. My GP was so helpful and he gave me copies of all discharge letters and all my blood tests to attach as well. I have also written a wee letter explaining my everyday life and stating how many lumab puncture i had and how they have affected me. Also stated that they have referred me for neuro surgery to get shunt fitted. And I mentioned that I am in the process of getting lupus diagnosed. That should be plenty shouldn't it?

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi There

Thanks.
Another good source of information is from the welfare rights officer at your local council house. They are trained in how to help you complete the forms and how to word the answers to the questions on the form. They are currently on their 27th revision of how to complete Personal Indipedance Payments (the old DLA) application form. If I remember rightly their booklet runs to hundreds of pages. I would not have stood a chance without their support and guidance in completing the PIP application forms. With their help I was able to get both the mobility and the personal care component. Another brilliant source of information is http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

Good luck with your claim

Mart

Last edited by a moderator:

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another good source of information is from the welfare rights officer at your local council house. They are trained in how to help you complete the forms and how to word the answers to the questions on the form. They are currently on their 27th revision of how to complete Personal Indipedance Payments (the old DLA) application form. If I remember rightly their booklet runs to hundreds of pages. I would not have stood a chance without their support and guidance in completing the PIP application forms. With their help I was able to get both the mobility and the personal care component. Another brilliant source of information is http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

Good luck with your claim

Mart
Thanks for that's but but don't live in UK. Here in Ireland, especially in my town they are not so eager to help with this sort of stuff unless you come over on wheelchair with both legs cut off (as bad as it sounds)
The form here is only ~5 pages and rest is for the doctor to fill

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I am still getting all the notes together. I requested the notes from hospital and I am waiting on them. My GP was so helpful and he gave me copies of all discharge letters and all my blood tests to attach as well. I have also written a wee letter explaining my everyday life and stating how many lumab puncture i had and how they have affected me. Also stated that they have referred me for neuro surgery to get shunt fitted. And I mentioned that I am in the process of getting lupus diagnosed. That should be plenty shouldn't it?

Yes, It is best to have to much than not enough. Good luck