DISONCARE Insulin pen Cooler for Traveling

Slugger

Hi Everyone,

I've seen these insulated travel cases with freezer packs (DISONCARE insulin pen cooler travel case) and was wondering whether anyone has any experience of them, specifically related to travel and airport security.

I can't post links but if you search for "insulin cooler travel case" on Amazon you should see them easily enough.

I regularly travel to Dubai for 4-5 weeks at a time and take insulin (Levemir and Lyumjev (previously Apidra)) with me. I currently use Frio wallets but thought something that's actually chilled might be a better idea.

The flight time is about 7 hours, plus any delays, plus up to a couple of hours in the airport each end, plus 45 minutes to an hour each end getting to and from the airport. So all in it's probably about 12 hours door to door.

Anyway, back to the DISONCARE - I'm wondering whether they would get through UK airport security supported by a doctors letter or prescription and insulin pen information sheets. Also happy to hear any other general thoughts on or experiences of this product.

Thanks

Jaded Judi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I would be interested if anyone else has bought this. I am travelling to NZ next year and the flight will be over 24 hours in all. This product may be very useful as I need to take 6 insulin pens with me! Thanks

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi Everyone,

I've seen these insulated travel cases with freezer packs (DISONCARE insulin pen cooler travel case) and was wondering whether anyone has any experience of them, specifically related to travel and airport security.

I can't post links but if you search for "insulin cooler travel case" on Amazon you should see them easily enough.

I regularly travel to Dubai for 4-5 weeks at a time and take insulin (Levemir and Lyumjev (previously Apidra)) with me. I currently use Frio wallets but thought something that's actually chilled might be a better idea.

The flight time is about 7 hours, plus any delays, plus up to a couple of hours in the airport each end, plus 45 minutes to an hour each end getting to and from the airport. So all in it's probably about 12 hours door to door.

Anyway, back to the DISONCARE - I'm wondering whether they would get through UK airport security supported by a doctors letter or prescription and insulin pen information sheets. Also happy to hear any other general thoughts on or experiences of this product.

Thanks
Sorry cannot answer your question but I and a few others here use the Frio travel wallet , also available on Amazon and other places
It works by imersing the inner bag in water until the crystals expand and then they become the cooling medium. The crystals take several days to dry out (the outer bag feels dry by the way) and then you simply re-immerse the inner bag to recharge if needed. Easily done in a hotel sink etc.
When you get home, let them dry out and they will fit into a small space in any cupboard for re-use at a later date.
I have always used them when travelling in Philippines without any problems and the temperature there is in the high 30's °C when we usually go around May time.
Never had any problems with airport security either.

Edited to add:-
Just looked at the Disoncare website - seems to me that what you're looking at there is a very expensive thermos flask ??? - albeit with a fancy temperature display in the top. One could probably acheive the same outcome with a thermos flask and some cold gel packs.

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am a Frio user and never needed anything else.
I travel to Dubai a few times a year and, because I spend so little time outside and everything is air conditioned so well, I have not bothered with Frio the last few times I went.
Insulin is pretty robust for up to a month at “room temperature“ so never needed anything more.