1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Disposal of waste

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by TypeZero., Sep 17, 2020.

1. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm in the same fortunate position as @Hopeful34; I live in Somerset and order my sharps bin collection and delivery from Somerset Waste Partnership who deal with our local councils. Really easy and efficient. I was also told that both sensor and applicator should go in a sharps bin.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MommaE

MommaE Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’m copying below a section of an email response I received from Abbot when I inquired of them. I hope you might find it useful.

All the components of the FreeStyle Libre should be disposed of in accordance with all applicable local regulations related to the disposal of electronic equipment, batteries, sharps, and materials potentially exposed to body fluids. The sensor applicator is a sharp. The FreeStyle Libre sensor and applicator have to be disposed of in the sharp container. The sensor pack and applicator cap could be disposed of under normal municipal recycling.

• Informative Informative x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook