Do you have deep set veins?

mrsmousemat

Everytime I have my blood taken there's always a mighty struggle to get it.

The record is three people having a go.... and I just hate all that tapping and pumping :cry:

But I asked at the hospital whether there was any group of people who had this deep-set vein thing. And was told that Indian women have it too.

So now being diagnosed with diabetes2, I was interested to read that Asians have higher than normal diabetes rates.

Especially since a bloger on the UK Diabetes forum casually mentioned that he too, had deepset veins. And my OH has them too - and his family are very diabetic genetically prone.

So I was wondering whether any people from this website had this problem (which isn't all bad -apparently should you have a car accident, etc your veins are more protected, according to one doctor).

If so, I was wondering whether there was any genetic link between having deep set veins, as it might come in useful for doctors etc to predict people who may develop diabetes.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
nope sorry ,my veins are free and easy :D

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Yes, I have deep set veins and my record to date is 5 bloodsuckers!! :shock: :shock: :roll:

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
I have deep set viens they all like to hide. But im white and no one else in my family had diabetes :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have veins that are hard to find too. Apparently, they also move. We have the hunting game every six months. My record so far is 3 phlebotomists having 5 goes between them.
I now make sure I go to the best place. I have a choice of 2 hospitals or the GP surgery. I choose the West Berks Community Hospital, because, even if they have difficulty getting the blood and I end up feeling sick, they are unfailingly kind to me. I've been given a drink of water and a lie-down on a reclining chair.
In addition, the cafe at the hospital is lovely and after a fast, I can have a fried egg with mushrooms in a bright clean place.
The VERY LAST :evil: time, I went to the hospital, Iended up with them taking it from the back of my hand, which swelled up to double its normal size and went purple for a month.
My Gp thinks he can do it, but I'm not letting him any more. He turrned me black and blue.
i did ask the successful phlebotomist if it's because I'm overweight and she says it's nothing to do with it, apparently my veins don't lie where they expect them.I have taken note of her name.
Hana

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
hanadr said:
I have taken note of her name.
Hana

Yes, one does tend to do that! :lol:

I have found the hospital staff are much better at it than at my gp's and I suppose they see more of the awkward customers like us. When I must go to the gp's surgery I am never booked into their phlebotomist nowadays as they make sure that there is always a doctor on hand! :roll: I absolutely loathe going to have blood taken. :evil: :shock: :roll:

mrsmousemat

So sorry to read others have this 'Hunt The Vein' problem.

Maybe there is some sort of genetic link.. I know that if your eyebrows seem to vanish before they are due to as they go towards your hairline - you can be hyperthyroid.

But DV's are not du to being overweight - you either have DV's, or you don't.

One DV hunter advised that perhaps I should have a tattoo on the best spot.
In desperation, I did think about it!

But another phlebotamist said - 'Say it is 'exactly where they expect it to be - only they can't see it' . And this seems to work.

Well, at least it cuts the time down to around 10 mins of huffing, puffing and bringing the bravest from far corners of the hospital, during their lunchbreak etc.

xxxleonadxxx

I have been told my veins are collapsing .... frig only knows what that means but personally I think my body has just had enough of being a pin cushion lol