Does Insulin Affect Your Appetite?

Tubbycatsmum_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since starting on insulin 2 weeks ago my appetite has changed. I’ve never eaten breakfast and struggle to make myself eat it. If I do it tends to be a brunch. I have a light lunch (2 units humalog), then at tea time (3 units humalog). I’m finding that I’m starving 9pm onwards. I take a basal dose (6 units abasaglar) before bed. My sugars are still all over the place. I’m still spiking into the 20’s and my morning blood sugars are always 10 and above. The only time I get a blood sugar within normal range is if I skip a meal and that’s not sustainable.
I’m seeing the diabetes consultant again on Monday. I’ve also been seeing the DSN and dietician who are slowly looking at upping my bolus doses and eventually adding in correction doses.
I don’t know if it’s because I’m aware of what I’m eating and trying to steer away from the bad stuff. I’m a bit paranoid about putting weight on with insulin but feel it’s the only thing I’m thinking about whilst stopping myself raiding the fridge.
I still haven’t got a diagnosis type yet, the medics say I probably won’t and are calling it insulin dependent diabetes type uncertain.

D

Deleted Account

I have never found insulin affected my appetite. I love to eat and am grateful I also love to exercise and never had a weight problem.
I feel less like eating when my BG is low ... which is a pain when I am too low.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I agree.
Pregabalin tablets make me hungry but not my insulin... even the massive ones.
Carbs used to make me carb crave. Is that what you're experiencing?