Dupytrens Contractures.....

Candybabe

Hi, I have had Type 1 for a long time and have now been diagnosed with a Dupytrens Contracture. As I am (relatively) young at 42, they are considering Radiotherapy to treat it. Has anyone else had experience of this please? Or does anyone recommend another form of treatment? I am not keen on regular injections of steroids, but it is in the early stages and they have recommended not to have surgery at present.
Any advice or info gratefully received. :D

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had it in both hands for about 7 years and it has hardly got any worse. I just have the cords in my hands and my fingers are only bending by about 3 degrees.

Even if you have treatment it can still come back, so unless my fingers start bending a lot more, I'm not going to have any treatment done.

It can be annoying when I change gear when driving if I am stuck in traffic and having to change gear a lot, but the rest of the time it doesn't bother me.

There are injections that you can have https://www.xiaflex.com/

It seems that Dupytrens can occur when blood sugar levels are high and I think that mine developed before I was diagnosed with Type 2 and since being well controlled they haven't got very much bigger.

Candybabe

Thank you Denise, that is reassuring to know that it has not gotten any worse :)
I have had the nodule on my hand for about 6 months and it can be irritating and painful but the finger has now begun to contract. My control is pretty good most of the time, so I guess I will have to wait and see what they come up with.... Will post up any information or results when I know.
Cheers Kim

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi, I have had Type 1 for a long time and have now been diagnosed with a Dupytrens Contracture. As I am (relatively) young at 42, they are considering Radiotherapy to treat it. Has anyone else had experience of this please? Or does anyone recommend another form of treatment? I am not keen on regular injections of steroids, but it is in the early stages and they have recommended not to have surgery at present.
Any advice or info gratefully received. :D

My gym instructor [non diabetic and fit] has had surgery for this on her little finger. the surgery failed.
Hana

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have dupytrens contracture in both hands, I had it when I was diagnosed with Type 2 six years ago. I've got the nodules in my hand but very little bending in my ring finger. It hasn't got any worse since keeping my blood sugar under control. My GP has seen them and confirmed the diagnosis. I would be very wary of starting any treatment whilst it is in the early stages, as mine has not got any worse. The only time they give me any trouble is when driving and changing gear a lot. There are a couple of useful websites http://dupuytrens-society.org.uk and http://www.dupuytrens.co.uk/

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too have the nodules and palmar facia thickening but no contracture. The diagnosis from one consultant is cairoarthopathy whilst another suggests osteoarthritis. After many years of pain in both hands, at last I have considerable relief brought about by: (1) hand exercises (taught by the hospital), (2) amitriptyline (prescribed by GP) and (3) glucosamine sulphate (suggested by GP). I suspect that the diabetic treatment has also contributed to the improvement.

My hunch is that all of this is diabetes related.

andy williams

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These are genetic and are from the same gene thread that makes you pre-disposed to T2 diabetes. It is also usually found in celtic/nordic gene patterns.

You either get one in your right hand or both hands p never just the left (likewise the feet), and always the ring finger or the ring finger plus others.

You will also be susceptable to things called Garrad Pads which are a thickening of the finger joints and commonly mistaken for arthritis. These are something to do with the impact the same gene thread has on the vascular condition.

I had a contracture since my late twenties (late fifties now). I started developing Garrad Pads in my thirties and was diagnosed T2 diabetic in my early fifties. I had the contracture removed by day surgery about 5 years ago and it has never returned. It's no big deal and relatively straightforward although your hand and forearm will be in a [laster of paris splint for a couple of weeks and you will probably have to wear a plastic splint for a few more weeks after that to keep your finger extended.

Apparently most treatments available - including surgery - have quite a high failure rate however 5 years on mine shows no sign of returning.

Contractures are now used by a lot of Doctors as 'markers' for someone at high risk of T2 later in life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would be very wary of radiotherapy! The consultant at my local hospital (also a member of the NICE committee) said that while radiotherapy might help, the difficulty comes later if the cords develop again. Radiotherapy causes changes that makes many other options in the future impossible.

He also said that if you read all the reports on the web, they are always positive. Real life is not like that there must be some people that radiotherapy doesn't work for, but you can't find 1 on the web. This is one of the reasons that radiotherapy has not been recommended by NICE.

Apparently there is a serum that will be recommended by NICE soon, which when injected will dissolve the cords.

Just my opinion, but I'd wait until it really became a problem for you. Then consider your options very carefully.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

andy williams

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not for the squeamish, but this is what surgery looks like (don't panic - you'll be asleep !!), and this is me about an hour or so post-op.

In the surgery one, you can see the actual contracture has been removed from the ring finger and is laid out along the index finger for inspection.

hand.jpg hand2.jpg

Sugar free Stu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe I should not have read this thread, thanks for the pictures Andy Williams my op on the little finger is 20th February and very interesting regarding Garrad Pads which I also have first finger both hands and had always thought was arthritis.

domark

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
packaged food, spirits
I am a type 2 on insulin & recently had Dupytrans contracture operated on in my right hand. Although the op. is painless the recovery & numerous hospital visits are a real pain. If you can live with it I would avoid surgery, I have been told that within a relatively short period it will probably return & then further surgery is required.

andy williams

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a type 2 on insulin & recently had Dupytrans contracture operated on in my right hand. Although the op. is painless the recovery & numerous hospital visits are a real pain. If you can live with it I would avoid surgery, I have been told that within a relatively short period it will probably return & then further surgery is required.

It's highly variable. I had mine removed 5 years ago. After the operation I attended a fortnight later to have the cast and stitches removed and a plastic splint fitted to wear at night, then 6 weeks later for a final check. I have had no recurrence and am very happy with it.

Reactions: 2 people

cjw

I have only just seen this thread but would strongly recommend NOT to have radiotherapy for this condition. I had it about 3 years ago in London and my hand is still really dry and a bit painful as a result. It is supposed to stop the condition getting worse but I have more nodules than I did before having the treatment. I have to say the original ones are no worse but I REALLY regret having this treatment.