DVLA and C1 misery

DaveBru

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I made a mistake by getting my C1 licence back last year.

I was told to renew in December 2022, getting word back today from DVLA that I must see a consultant, that consultant has no appointments till April.

My licence expires in March and I am due to travel abroad in May, a trip I need my licence for.

You cannot drive on an expired licence abroad.

My current A1 and B1 entitlements went down to 1 year from 3 (due to having to match C1). I now want to ditch the C1 as I cant deal with this stress every year.
As I cant speak to DVLA Medival I dont even know if that is possible. (I have 1 year to run on my 3 year A B licence as that was due to expire in 2024 before DVLA changed that date, however whether DVLA MEdical accespts that is unknown as noone can be bothered to answer the phone)

I am now in the situation of not knowing if my licence will be back before I go abroad, as DVLA Medical cant seemingly answer a phone.

I sent the VDIAB2 off today that they also sent, and know its taking 10 days for them to scan them, which means I wont see my doctor until the end of March.
Why I cant fill that in electronically is unknown.

DVLA Medical haven't contacted my MP yet as I raised it with them.

Moral of the story, there is none apart frm privatise DVLA Medical.

DaveBru

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How do I go about cancelling this C1 and going back to a normal car/bike licence. First available appointment to see a consultant is 13th April, I need my licence back before the end of April. DVLA Medical are on strike this week, no phones are ever answered

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
You old entitlement doesn’t matter anymore the entitlements are shown on line and easily checked. Search Google for ‘driving licence check’ and the dates there are what matter..

I had this once and phoned dvla, the put me to a different consultant but I had to travel

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77