DVLA Grandfather Rights

Ian932

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My wife is Type 1 and she lost her C1 10ys, she qualified under Grandfather Rights...after 18 months of jumping through hoops and one formal complaint to the DVLA she got her license and they stuck her on a provisional for C1

We called today and were told she needs to sit a C1 test and that was the law, when pressed on the law and what specific law said she did not get her C1 back without doing a test they just go around in circles.

We call later to see if we get the same story and this time they tell us they remove the Grandfather Rights when you are Type 1. When pressed they then hang up!

No one in the DLVA seems to be able to tell her why or when she lost her Grandfather Rights and we are at a loss with DVLA medical

Has anyone come across this before?

• Friendly
Reactions: jjraak

GarethSM

I have Always jumped through these hoops, every year I have to request the extra C1/D1 and getting the right paperwork is always a challenge even at the post office.
They seem to make it really difficult to reapply.
Do you require the C1 for your work?
If so you can mention this when they get difficult. I was an Ambulance driver and C1/D1 was required I had to inform the DVLA of this the first two years.

I really do sympathise with you here as the DVLA make us jump through so many hoops, I actually hate the renewal process and last year had to lodge an official complaint.

In conclusion don't let them take away what is rightfully yours

• Useful
Reactions: jjraak

Ian932

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
She needs it for driving a Motorhome so just leisure...it feels like they have classed her as needing it for commercial use...we also feel they have a black list for anyone who made a complaint.

We thought we had it sorted months ago and then they tell us she had to go to a consultant of their choice and wait a further 4 months for a 10min Teams call.

I agree it is rightfully hers and I can't find any gov legislation or rule where it can be removed, let alone without even notifying us they have done it and the reason behind it

• Hug
Reactions: GarethSM and jjraak

GarethSM

Leisure purpose is very important, emotional welfare has an impact on everyone.
And yes unless you request the C1/D1 forms they will remove it.
Going by the DVLA web site this is something you have to action they put this decision on you.
Unless you fill out the correct paperwork you lose your entitlement.

Personally I find it very difficult filling out forms especially when both forms are identical apart from a couple of questions.

Ian932

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Leisure purpose is very important, emotional welfare has an impact on everyone.
And yes unless you request the C1/D1 forms they will remove it.
Going by the DVLA web site this is something you have to action they put this decision on you.
Unless you fill out the correct paperwork you lose your entitlement.

Personally I find it very difficult filling out forms especially when both forms are identical apart from a couple of questions.
Which form are you talking of being similar? We were told to fill in the D2 and D4, the only thing she might have done is accidentality fill in section 1 of the D2 wrong and asked to have a provisional, you would like to think they check the records and see you had that entitlement already if she did

Yes you automatically lose the category but from what we read you should not lose your Grandfather Rights, I see no reference to that in their online info :-(

GarethSM

yes the D2 and D4, however last year I was informed the D4 only has to be filled out every 5 years! - although I will be checking on this when it's time to renew!
as for the Grandfather rights, I'm unsure. Could the 5year information be the 'Grandfather rights'?
Maybe a query (complaint) to officially get a written reply from the DVLA is the only way to clear this up?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
When I lost mine.. when I decided to get it back I just filled out the application for had the medical and was given back the 7.5t without a test.

Since I have passed the C and C+E