Element meter readings

brummybri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on Humulin 1 since September. After 4 months my HB1Ac reading was 7.4%. Readings using my Accucheck Aviva meter were averaging 7.5.
Cumbria NHS have changed my meter to an Element as part of a cost saving excercise. Fair enough. However my readings are now averaging 9.2.
How can I tell whether the new meter is reading 20% higher or I have an issue that needs addressing, eg. increase Humulin dosage?

C

catherinecherub

Can anyone help @brummybri?
Has anyone else been given the Element blood glucose meter and have you noticed any difference in readings?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on Humulin 1 since September. After 4 months my HB1Ac reading was 7.4%. Readings using my Accucheck Aviva meter were averaging 7.5.
Cumbria NHS have changed my meter to an Element as part of a cost saving excercise. Fair enough. However my readings are now averaging 9.2.
How can I tell whether the new meter is reading 20% higher or I have an issue that needs addressing, eg. increase Humulin dosage?

I have been given the element as I am in cumbria too. I ran my testing over a few days along with my accuchek meter that I have used for a few years, I didn't see much difference only by 0.2 - 0.4 points. I am T2 not on insulin but on gliclizide so I think it more important for you as T1 to have an accurate meter. Do you still have your old meter and some test strips maybe you could do some comparative testing over a few days?. If you are unhappy can you make a good case to stay on your old meter.

Reactions: 2 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@brummybri

I have just done some more comparative tests this morning at waking 1hr 2hr and3hr

Element. Accuchek Aviva
5.6. 5.8
4.8. 4.7
4.8. 4.9
5.1. 5.2

So seem to be very similar and well within range of accuracy, are you still having problems?
I was buying my own Aviva strips as I was only allowed 50 every 3 months but now get 50 element strips a month so I am happy with the results and am going to stop buying strips now I get enough for what I need

Hope my results help you out, if you are still having problems speak to your DSN

Reactions: 2 people