Elevated thyroid antibodies

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've recently had a blood test done privately which included thyroid antibody tests.

One of which thyroid peroxidase antibody (TPO) had an elevated value above normal range. All other thyroid numbers TSH, T4, T3 and TGab were normal.

I understand from googling, raised TPO is an indication of thyroid autoimmune disorder and it's not uncommon if you have type 1 diabetes.

At moment my type 1 consultants are diabetologist, not endocrinologist. My routine blood test includes TSH and T4.

If you see endocrinologist for T1, do they normally screen you for thyroid antibodies ?

What does this raised TPO mean and how common among type 1, how likely I will have symptoms and need treatment in future.

I am now trying to book an appointment to see GP to discuss but if you have similar situation and could share your experience, I would be grateful

Dark Horse

Have a look at this page https://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/81765 which says:-
In patients with subclinical hypothyroidism, the presence of TPO antibodies is associated with an increased risk of developing overt hypothyroidism. Many clinical endocrinologists use the TPO antibody test as a diagnostic tool in deciding whether to treat a patient with subclinical hypothyroidism
but
Moderately increased levels of thyroperoxidase (TPO) antibodies may be found in patients with nonthyroid autoimmune disease such as pernicious anemia, type I diabetes, or other disorders that activate the immune system.

Some patients who have been exposed to animal antigens, either in the environment or as part of treatment or imaging procedure, may have circulating anti-animal antibodies present. These antibodies may interfere with the assay reagents to produce unreliable results.
This website is quite informative:- http://www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_the_thyroid/thyroid_antibodies.html

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the links.

I am less worried now.

The result probably doesn't mean much other than that as type 1 my risk of having autoimmune thyroid problems is higher.

From lack of response from other type 1s I'm guessing TPO antibody test is not normally done.

I just came across an article that said low level vitamin D as a cause for high TPO. My vitamin D was also low so this might be the reason. I was also totally deficient in vitamin D at T1 diagnosis.