Empagliaflozin (Jardinance)

Belles

Hi

I’ve been put on this medication and ever since they upped me to 25mg I have had a severe reaction in my genital area.
Sometimes a burning but mostly on the inside of my thighs and creases where my thighs meet my vagina. The skin has hardened and then it itches so bad I scratch it and make myself bleed and then my skin goes flaky and the process starts over again.
Apologies there is so much detail here and it’s quite private, but I am at a loss of how to deal with it because yoghurt, baking soda, sudocream…. Nothing works and it’s so painful and frustrating. It hurts to walk and it’s debilitating me beyond words. Can someone help with advice or experience on how to deal with this? I’m almost at the end of my tether and it’s making me so upset.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I’ve been put on this medication and ever since they upped me to 25mg I have had a severe reaction in my genital area.
Sometimes a burning but mostly on the inside of my thighs and creases where my thighs meet my vagina. The skin has hardened and then it itches so bad I scratch it and make myself bleed and then my skin goes flaky and the process starts over again.
Apologies there is so much detail here and it’s quite private, but I am at a loss of how to deal with it because yoghurt, baking soda, sudocream…. Nothing works and it’s so painful and frustrating. It hurts to walk and it’s debilitating me beyond words. Can someone help with advice or experience on how to deal with this? I’m almost at the end of my tether and it’s making me so upset.
Sorry to hear your woes. Be careful, because this medication is associated with necrotising faciliitis which thrives on the sugar and can lead to gangrene requiring surgery in an area we do not want to be messed about with. I would suggest an ointment containing clotrimazole and treat as if Thrush. But I am a guy, and there may be better ways of relieving itching and dealing with yeast infections.

Reactions: Belles

Sci-Fi reader

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear your woes. Be careful, because this medication is associated with necrotising faciliitis which thrives on the sugar and can lead to gangrene requiring surgery in an area we do not want to be messed about with. I would suggest an ointment containing clotrimazole and treat as if Thrush. But I am a guy, and there may be better ways of relieving itching and dealing with yeast infections.
Hope you've got sorted Belles. I too developed similar problems and thrush treatments didn't work. I was also constantly running to the toilet but I put up with it for 3 years. Eventually I got to my wit's end so tried a daily dose of anti histamines to see if it was an allergy. Although it helped significantly it didn't completely resolve it. I then stopped Jardinace it to see if it resolved, and guess what? It did.
I'm now on gliclocide instead but that has it's side effects too.

bfj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Girls...make an appointment with a Urogynocologist.....
Same issues for 6 months, Urologist kept treating UTI which proved to be non existant...existent....
UROGYNOCOLOGIST saved me..
ZincOxide sitzbath and Calmoseptic
Cream

• Useful
Reactions: Oldvatr

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Girls...make an appointment with a Urogynocologist.....
Same issues for 6 months, Urologist kept treating UTI which proved to be non existant...existent....
UROGYNOCOLOGIST saved me..
ZincOxide sitzbath and Calmoseptic
Cream
Zinc Oxide cream was the treatment for Nappy Rash when I was a kid. Worked then, and also for my kids who were also Spock Babies.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can have a discussion with your Doctor or HCP. The information in this thread should provide data and experiences that you can discuss, research, and make an informed choice.