Erratic blood sugars

Emma2589

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been managing my blood sugars myself since being diagnosed in hoapital and they are absolutely all over the place!

I was just wondering if this was a normal occurance for people in the beginning? For instance I went to bed with a 12 on Tuesday and woke up at 19, last night I went to bed with my first close to normal reading of 7.9 but again woke up at 19! I've spoken to my DSN who has suggested putting up my basal.

I'm a very analytical person, and not being able to identify any patterns with the data is frustrating!

Also - exercise.... I go to a military bootcamp and I got there today and did a test to start and was on a 6.1 which I was very happy about (never been in range before!), I was slightly concerned about the potential to have my first hypo, but my test straight after the session gave me a level of 16 which worried me as it completely shot up!

Can anyone relate/give any advice?

Thanks!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is tough at the start, finding what foods, activity, doses does to your levels. I started on fixed doses with similar readings. Carry on testing regular, recording levels, foods eaten, activity and communicate info back to your dsn. increasing bssal as your dsn suggested is a good place to start from what you've said.

Reactions: 2 people

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Blood sugars can rise after exersize if there is no insulin in the body. Don't bee too hard on yourself, it's still early days and soon you will find a routine that works for you :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The lack of apparent patterns is frustrating. You just have to break it down and analyse one thing at a time. With more than a few variables it becomes impossible. The first thing to get right is your basal dose. Then with a known good baseline you can look at the effects of exercise, and the other ratios: carb to insulin ratio, insulin correction ratio (insulin sensitivity factor). Then look at how these might change during the day.