Experimenting

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Decided to experiment this morning and have some cereal that's been in the cupboard for a little while (prior to reducing carbs and sugar). It's Aldi's own version of Granola. Due to a late night spent with friends I didn't get up until 11ish so I tested at 11.30am and got 7.4 (maybe that was the aftermath of a couple of glasses of white wine last consumed around 10.30pm ish) ;)

I tested exactly 2 hours after I'd had my 1st mouthful of cereal and it was 8.3.

So, lesson to self: stick to the scrambled eggs and mushrooms which I know don't raise my blood sugars about 2hrs after eating!!! (i.e. I have been 6.6 on waking and then 6.3 after eating this for breakfast).

I may try another cereal but the granola is definitely OUT

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No damage done. A spike of less than 1.0, but obviously from a higher starting point than you would like. So maybe not a true picture?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good plan. Did you have milk with the granola by any chance? Skim milk maybe?

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I did have it with milk - semi skimmed milk. I'm really not keen on full fat milk which I believe is better. It might be ok in a mug of tea but it's too creamy for me to have on cereal I think.

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All bran is about the only cereal I can eat without a big spike.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to be fairly lucky with cereal and can eat hot oat cereal with oat bran, bran flakes and mini-wheats without spiking.

Reactions: 2 people

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Cereal is definately a no go area for me,I love porridge but alas I had a reading of over 13 so now have natural Greek yogurt and Berries.
Goodluck with your Bs.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think your HbA1c of 41 is one point under the line for IGT? It's an ideal time for you to get your diet sorted so you control your blood glucose, rather than allowing it to drift upwards, as I did unwittingly before I discovered this forum. If you persevere with low-carb, don't forget to increase your fat intake.