Fine HBA1C and slightly high fasting glucose

Glank27

Hi,

I am new here . I'm 34 year old male and in the past two-threey years i had my blood tested twice for glucose levels. In the first test, fasting glucose came out at 6.2mmol/l. In view of this border-line result, i had my HBa1c test and got a 5.7%, which doctor said its fine and the fasting level "alarm" might be due to excessive stress and glucose fluctuations.
In the second test carried out three months ago, i got a 6.6mmol/l in fasting glucose. This again being a bit off-limits, i had my Hba1c tested once again and it scored at 5.2%; which again was told that is absolutely fine and nothing to worry about.

I might ask which of the two tests is the most reliable source? This website calculator shows a 5.2 %HBa1c equivalent to 4.8mmol/l.... way-ff the 6.2-6.6mmol/l i have scored twice.
I must say that each time i take the blood test, i am a bit nervous and stressed as i am always afraid what might be the results. Can this affect the reading. Doc says that stress will increase glucose levels.
I am a bit worried about this, as i might be in a pre-diabetes stage. However Hba1c levels say i'm not. I have safely turned to a safer healthy lifestyle with moderate eating and regular physical activity just to be on the safe side! And this showed an improvement in weight as i have dropped from 98kg down to 85kg!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Glank and welcome to the forum :) The two tests you have had are both as accurate as possible. The fasting test tells you your level on that particular morning. Stress does make a difference to the level. The level for diagnosis of diabetes is 7 and above on the fasting test. The HbA1c test takes an average of your levels over the last 8-12 weeks and doesn't pick up the highs and lows. You are doing the right thing improving your diet and increasing your exercise. If I were you I would go back to my doctor regularly to be tested. If you are diagnosed diabetic then come back here and we can help you. :)

Glank27

Thanks for your reply Daisy. I know what both tests calculate, however i am confused as the Hba1c is telling me that i am perfectly normal in glucose levels, whilst the fasting test is telling me i am in a pre-diabetes state.... :?:

anniep

This can happen with the HBa1c as it is an 'average' so there can be highs and lows that are outside of the equivalent that shows here.

If you think the stress is raising the fasting BG, why not buy a test meter and do it yourself when you you are not stressed to see if that makes a difference to the figure?

As Daisy1 said I would keep regular checks with my doctor.

What makes youand the docotr suspect diabetes?

hallii

In my opinion this is one of those cases where you just have to listen to your Doctor, he/she has done all the tests and arrived at a considered diagnosis. I am inclined to agree with what you have been told, a slightly higher than normal fasting BG is not, on it's own, any indication of diabetes.

The body has some wonderful methods of pushing your BGs up in the morning, whether or not you are diabetic.

The HbA1c test is the standard used by most Doctors now, although it does not show any highs or lows it does give a good indication of your average BGs over a given period.

So, on balance, you are probably not diabetic.

Now I will qualify my next few sentences, I dislike the term "pre-diabetic" or similar, in my book either you are or you are not, but from what you have said I concede that you may just be pre-diabetic, or to put it another way, have a pre-disposition for higher than normal BGs.

So watch your diet, keep the weight off and excercise. That may be all you need to do to mantain a perfectly normal life.

Ask your Doctor for a periodic HbA1c just to be on the safe side.
You could also ask about a Gucose Tolerance Test, cheap and easy to do.

H