Finger tip question - no squeezing?

MimT

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read how you shouldn't squeeze your finger to get a drop of blood for an accurate glucose reading. I usually have to. Sometimes even when I do that there's not enough blood and I have to prick a different finger tip.

I've tried setting the lance on the highest setting but even then I have to give a gentle squeeze. And the highest setting leaves a bruise. On a lower setting there's no bruise and I usually have to squeeze at least a little bit.

Wondering what other people do.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read how you shouldn't squeeze your finger to get a drop of blood for an accurate glucose reading. I usually have to. Sometimes even when I do that there's not enough blood and I have to prick a different finger tip.

I've tried setting the lance on the highest setting but even then I have to give a gentle squeeze. And the highest setting leaves a bruise. On a lower setting there's no bruise and I usually have to squeeze at least a little bit.

Wondering what other people do.
If you don''t already, maybe try one or more of these top tips:

Wash your hands in warm water prior to testing.
Rub your hands together, a bit like you would if they were cold
Drop your hand by your side and swing it back and forth a couple of times Those all should help with blood flow.

If nnoe of those things work, then massage the palm of your hand, bellow the finger you have pricked, towards your finger tip.

If that, or a combination of the foregoing doesn't work, resort to cussing. :)

Personally, I find the most important things are that my hands aren't cold, and that I am well enough hydrated.

Good luck with it all.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I have read that also but can't see why it would make much difference to an already inaccurate test.
Would it make any difference If your watch was fast or slow by 5, or 6 minutes, you would still have a pretty good idea of the time.
The only way to get a truly accurate blood sugar level is to get it tested in a lab. The best we can get from our meters is +/-15%.
Maybe a squeeze does add a few percent to that figure but if the only way I can get a sample of blood to test is with a little squeeze, having some idea of where my levels are is better than not testing at all.

Reactions: jjraak and MimT

MimT

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wash your hands in warm water prior to testing.
Rub your hands together, a bit like you would if they were cold
Drop your hand by your side and swing it back and forth a couple of times Those all should help with blood flow.

Thanks. I'll try that. I've been shaking my hands beforehand to try to get the blood flowing, but not always using warm water to wash them.

Maybe a squeeze does add a few percent to that figure but if the only way I can get a sample of blood to test is with a little squeeze, having some idea of where my levels are is better than not testing at all.

I think the impact can be to decrease the reading as often as increasing it, or there's a good chance there's no impact. I've just found a paper that suggests it's okay to squeeze gently - as long as you don't apply too much pressure.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's no problem to do a quick short squeeze, like @AndBreathe said, from the palm up, don't just squeeze the fingertip.

It is a problem if you need to squeeze very hard because your blood will be mixed with other fluids being pushed out.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You know what, I have always squeezed my finger! I had no idea you shouldn't. You live and learn :)

Reactions: MimT

Jasmin2000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read that also but can't see why it would make much difference to an already inaccurate test.
Would it make any difference If your watch was fast or slow by 5, or 6 minutes, you would still have a pretty good idea of the time.
The only way to get a truly accurate blood sugar level is to get it tested in a lab. The best we can get from our meters is +/-15%.
I was told to avoid this because it tends to decrease the BG reading. The logic is that you're contaminating the blood with interstitial fluid, which usually has a lower glucose content because it hasn't yet seen the glucose in the blood - so it's diluting your blood.

Anyways, it's unlikely to make a huge difference if you squeeze.

Last edited:

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the clinic we're told to avoid this because it tends to decrease the BG reading. The logic is that you're contaminating the blood with interstitial fluid, which usually has a lower glucose content because it hasn't yet seen the glucose in the blood - so it's diluting your blood.

Anyways, it's unlikely to make a huge difference if you squeeze.
And I have always been suspicious that my finger prick readings are lower than they should be. That is why. Thanks :)

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was told not to squeeze my finger because it bruises it.
But i was told I could “milk” my finger - squeeze the blood from further up the finger.

However, I find warming my hand before pricking avoids the need to squeeze.

Reactions: MimT and HairySmurf

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or rub the chosen finger briskly with a clean towel for 20 seconds first.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being hydrated definitely helps with me, also if I’m having trouble getting a bead of blood, pricking my little finger always works although it hurts more :rolleyes:

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wash my hands in warm water and stay hydrated and I still have to squeeze my fingers and the centre of my hand and that's just to get a small amount of blood and that's when I get a different result on the libre 2 then I feel so it doesn't matter what you do because it is always the same you have to squeeze your finger and I have had to since I was diagnosed in 1994 and back then you were told the only way was to squeeze your finger tips and hand and that's after you washed them and the only thing that it is is the oxygen in your blood it's exactly the same in your feet it doesn't go around after awhile and you have to do what is needed and when you are in hospital the nurses squeeze your fingers so you can't win which ever way you look at it with this question

HairySmurf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After much trouble with this and trying hand warming etc. I found I could only get a drop of blood consistently by pricking the tip or pad of the finger and massaging the blood to the finger tip - like milking a cow. I could very rarely get any blood from the side of my finger, beside the pad, as I was instructed to do.

It's only recently after I got a new meter, which came with a new lancet device, that I discovered the problem was the lancet I had - a Glucoject Dual Plus. For whatever reason not all lancets are created equally. Whether it's the depth of the needle or its diameter I don't know, but I can consistently get a drop of blood from the side of my finger with the lancet that comes with the Contour BG meter, and I don't have to massage it much to get a drop. If the 'milking a cow' thing doesn't work for you, maybe give another lancet a try?