First 4 weeks, first post!

TJM13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

My first post on the forum, I've been quietly reading through a lot of the content on here over the past 4 weeks and thought I should contribute with a post of my own :)

A bit of background, I am a 22 yo male and was diagnosed around 4 weeks ago. Symptoms looking back now were so obvious (couldn't stop drinking, going to the toilet, weight dropped all the way to 7st 13) but I was too nervous to go to the doctor. Mainly for 2 reasons, firstly I was simply terrified of what they would tell me, was it diabetes? Did I have something much more sinister? Secondly, I knew I'd require a blood test and I am petrified of needles (or was, that fear quickly had to be given the boot). Anyway, my results came back and pretty much confirmed what the GP thought:

A1C: 120 (shocking I know)
Random BG Level: 19.6 mmol

2 days later I am in the hospital, thinking I'll only be there a couple of hours whilst they show me how to use a needle and a glucose meter when it gets even worse. My ketones are showing as HI (the nurse wasn't able to get a reading they were so high). I have never drank so much water in my life, nurses bringing me cup after cup. Anyway, I'm being prodded with insulin pens and told to keep drinking, keep drinking, keep drinking.

Fast forward a few hours after testing and additional blood tests, my ketones were finally readable at a very impressive 3.7! Everyone was amazed that I hadn't been seriously ill which took me by surprise because I had got accustomed to it and I'd felt "normal" all this time. My ketones were coming down by the hour and they were happy to let me go home with a big bag of diabetic goods (Monitor, Fiasp, Tujeo and all the trimmings).

That was my diagnosis experience, and now 4 weeks in I'm sat with a Libre 2 sensor, EchoPlus smartpen and enough dextrose tablets to feed a small village. I've recently started carb counting and to be honest I'm quite proud of the progress I've made (I think?). My TIR over the last 2 weeks is 79% with an average BG of 7.8 mmol (can't wait to get this down a bit more), still lots of work to be done but I think I can say my first month has been a relatively successful one. My diabetes centre has been absolutely brilliant and I'm very thankful that I was able to go from visiting my GP for a chat on a Friday, booking in a blood test for the Monday to being diagnosed and seeing my DSN by the Wednesday.

Huge thank you to everyone on this forum, the wealth of information has been so incredibly useful :)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

My first post on the forum, I've been quietly reading through a lot of the content on here over the past 4 weeks and thought I should contribute with a post of my own :)

A bit of background, I am a 22 yo male and was diagnosed around 4 weeks ago. Symptoms looking back now were so obvious (couldn't stop drinking, going to the toilet, weight dropped all the way to 7st 13) but I was too nervous to go to the doctor. Mainly for 2 reasons, firstly I was simply terrified of what they would tell me, was it diabetes? Did I have something much more sinister? Secondly, I knew I'd require a blood test and I am petrified of needles (or was, that fear quickly had to be given the boot). Anyway, my results came back and pretty much confirmed what the GP thought:

A1C: 120 (shocking I know)
Random BG Level: 19.6 mmol

2 days later I am in the hospital, thinking I'll only be there a couple of hours whilst they show me how to use a needle and a glucose meter when it gets even worse. My ketones are showing as HI (the nurse wasn't able to get a reading they were so high). I have never drank so much water in my life, nurses bringing me cup after cup. Anyway, I'm being prodded with insulin pens and told to keep drinking, keep drinking, keep drinking.

Fast forward a few hours after testing and additional blood tests, my ketones were finally readable at a very impressive 3.7! Everyone was amazed that I hadn't been seriously ill which took me by surprise because I had got accustomed to it and I'd felt "normal" all this time. My ketones were coming down by the hour and they were happy to let me go home with a big bag of diabetic goods (Monitor, Fiasp, Tujeo and all the trimmings).

That was my diagnosis experience, and now 4 weeks in I'm sat with a Libre 2 sensor, EchoPlus smartpen and enough dextrose tablets to feed a small village. I've recently started carb counting and to be honest I'm quite proud of the progress I've made (I think?). My TIR over the last 2 weeks is 79% with an average BG of 7.8 mmol (can't wait to get this down a bit more), still lots of work to be done but I think I can say my first month has been a relatively successful one. My diabetes centre has been absolutely brilliant and I'm very thankful that I was able to go from visiting my GP for a chat on a Friday, booking in a blood test for the Monday to being diagnosed and seeing my DSN by the Wednesday.

Huge thank you to everyone on this forum, the wealth of information has been so incredibly useful :)
Hello & Welcome - I am Type 2 so don't really know about Type 1 but I am sure some Type 1s will be along soon. Take care and look after yourself :)

Reactions: TJM13

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @TJM13 , welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you hit the ground running, well done!

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @TJM13, glad you found the forum!

Pleased to hear you're ok after the events leading up to your diagnosis. I'm a type 2, but also had the extreme, unquenchable thirst side effects of high blood glucose leading up to diagnosis. It's quite something, huh?! After a few days of it, I determined I either needed a doctor appointment for diabetes, or a trip to an aquarium because I was turning into a fish!

Anyway, although I'll not be any help with advice for T1, all I know is this forum has helped me no end and it's changed my life. Like you, I lurked for a month before joining and posting, just absorbing everything I could. As you already know, many of the T1s on here are extremely knowledgeable, so if you have any issues they'll almost certainly be able to help.

Keep up the great progress!

Reactions: TJM13 and Antje77

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi @TJM13
You have done fantastically well in a very short period of time.
I've been at it for 50 years and in decent condition considering the wonderful tech we have now that we didn't have 50 years ago!

My only advice i would give is to manage the condition yourself if you can and don't rely on the medical profession.
Its just a simple yet complex equation of food exercise and insulin.....tinker too much with one and the other two suffer.

I wish you well

Tony