Follow on from andybobs post, travelling etc

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I will be travelling myself in the summer and will be away in a hot country for 30 days, my insulin pens last 28 days ( only about 21 days of actual use) so my question is how do I take more insulin to last my full duration, obviously I will take more pens but what about the temperature rise, it is a 12 hour flight, to an Asian country with higher than 25C temps. is it ok to use a frio wallet and then at my destination put insulin back in the fridge for storage, or just try and buy some insulin there after my first pen has run out..? Am I being silly and missing something obvious....

Appreciate some advice thx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Should be fine in the Frio wallets until you get there then transfer to the fridge, take along a copy of your repeat prescription in case an emergency as you can present this to need to a Dr or pharmacy to buy more supplies.

I'm sure some insulin users on long-haul flights have asked the cabin crew to store their insulin in a fridge, not sure if they do this now but it's worth asking.

Reactions: notafanofsugar

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks for advice much appreciated, I used a Frio pack last year to Turkey for a 10 day trip no problem, just was unsure as this will be much longer, as insulin will rise in temperature and then down again.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App