Food Scales...

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!
Dear All,

HELP! Im the newbee...since yesterday.

Your forum is great!! Wish I had found it years ago!! Well done!

I have just learnt about "carb counting" and need to go buy a food scale. Which one is a good one to buy? within budget, as Im not working. Hubby and I are on a tight budget. I was searching the net, but then thought you guys would know better and faster than the net!! hie hie...

HELP?

thanks

Ursula

chocoholic

Hi, I've got he Salter Nutri-Weigh ones that are quite good. Argos sell them or you might get them cheaper online or even ebay. They wil tell you carb content, as well as awhole host of other useful info.

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!
Dear Choco....

THANK YOU!! I will search now for it!

Next question: Do I need to buy the calorie counter? and Diabetes Solution? (it is very expensive) but will buy it if I need it......

Thanks

Take care

Ursula

chocoholic

I don't count calories at all, so that's not something I'd hurry to buy. Trust me, if you cut down on your carb. intake you will lose weight. I didn't actually need to lose much weight when I decided to cut down on carbs. but it was an added bonus to find I lost 1 and 1/2 stones in a relatively short space of time and I have now levelled out at a weight I am very happy with.
I did buy the Diabetes Solution but if you want something a bit cheaper that has the same sort of message,I'd recommend you get 'The Diabetes Revolution' by Dr Charles Clark.I found this an easier read than Bernstein and very useful.Both books have recipes in them too. I know a lot swear by the Bernstein book but Clark's book is my personal preference. You might get this cheaper on Amazon or again you could try on ebay.
All the best, choccie.

P.S. The Collins Little Gem Carb. Counter book is a useful little book and is dirt cheap.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just use a small digital scale that cost £4.99. made by Hanson. I bough it from a well known high street hardware store. I use it together with a carb counting book (say £4.00) and if necessary a calculator. Make sure that it has a 'tare' facility so that you can put different containers on it and then zero it.

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!
Dear Chocoholic and Phoenix,

YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!!

This is FANTASTIC!!! Ok Im really happy to hear that I dont "have" to count carbs that badly but counting down will help. Ok - I can do this!! I am a fast learner, love cooking, trying new recipes and dont mind learning new things! I know this will take take. But I am ready to try.

Im not really over weight...well...as per my doc. But there are a few "rolls" I could get rid of and I know that is MY own fault! I must start exercising!! Ok - I do walk in the park with hubby....if that helps?? hie hie...

I will search for the scale and books.

Thank you ALL for all your help!

Ive got my lists ready to go shopping.

I will keep upu up dated.....

PS: Sugar is now at 8.8 is this good or bad?
PLEASE bare with me because I am still new at using the UK blood glucose testing machine. I lived in Rome 1st, we used tesing machine with readings of "mg/dl" like Americans. UK tesitng machines are "mmol". So Im using 2 machines suggested by my nurse.

take care
Ursh

chocoholic

Just a quickie, don't misunderstand the difference between carb. counting and calorie counting.
Carb counting is important (Collins Little Gem Carb. Counter is ideal) but calorie counting not so important.
Happy shopping!

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!
sorry me again...

I weigh 55kg (sorry Im south african) 8.9stones ( closer to 9)mmmm...I will ask my doc today about my BMI again, cos Ive forgotten!

My height is 1.61 metres ( which I think is 5.2 feet & inches)...

forget to add this in...

take care
Ursh

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!
Dear Choco,

Ok I read your reply again...roger that! I thought to myself, why count calories? Ok Ive written down your book on my list "to buy"!

I will keep you up dated!

thanks for your help
take care
Ursh

chocoholic

Even if your weight is fine, you'll find matching carbs to insulin your best way of gaining good control (when on insulin), Ursula.It's taken me a while to get the balance right but if this is not something you already do, I'm confident you'll find this hugely beneficial to you too.