Forgot to put new Victoza pens in fridge after collection from pharmacy: are pens still usable?

walkingman

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,

[ BTW: This is a similar post to a question I earlier put to the Insulin forum at diabetes.co.uk, as the same query is relevant to both a new batch of Humulin M3 pens AND! Victoza pens; but as I am now asking specifically about Victoza, I have placed the same query here : ]

I brought home from the pharmacy some Victoza pens yesterday (Thursday 9th April) BUT! forgot to put them in the fridge. Are they safe to use 24 hours later, having never been in the fridge? I am asking this as I have always been told by both diabetic medics and pharmacist - that both Humulin M3 and Victoza should be put in the fridge immediately after collection. And that they should then be stored in a fridge until just before usage when they then CAN be left out at room temperature for up to a month.

It is now 24 hours since I left them in a living room and have only just found them, as they were mislaid. This means they have been left at room temperature for a full day. Are they still safe to use and at what point (e.g. perhaps 1 month from today) should I discard them?

I am particularly worried about Victoza as I don't get through pens anywhere near as fast as I do the Humulin M3. So Victoza pens are normally left - once I have started one - at room temperature for 2 to 3+ weeks.

I just don't want to be injecting myself with something that's either not going to work as it should or - even worse - might be dangerous to use!

Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You must do as the manufacturers state, just request new pens for both and explain your mistake to your gp surgery, I'm sure they will understand.