Forum newbie concerned i may have diabetes

cezzie

Hi everyone, not used to forums so bear with me. I am 52 and have recently been getting fluctuating BS readings from 3.2 am to 10.2 at night. Past med history had 12ft of short bowel removed at 23 years due to blood clot. maintaining weight difficult due to malabsorption, Advice given by bowel Consultants, no fiber, plenty of high calorie and fatty foods...this resulted in me developing a very sweet tooth and living predominately on tea, toast and chocolate. Currently take thyroxine, on HRT as well as morphine for long term chronic pain for osteoarthritis. Weight has been fairly stable until l hit the menopause, approx 12lbs overweight but BMI normal. Pain consultant mentioned that I may be ?insulin resistant, not entirely sure what this means but am feeling so tired all the time. I'm sure my poor diet over 30 years has not helped but wondering why i am getting these high readings now.
I would be really grateful if anyone could shed any light on whats going on. Thank you.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi cezzie and welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately we cannot diagnose you on this forum so you will have to go to your GP and ask him/her to do the usual tests to find out if you have diabetes. Your diet could be leading to your high readings and you need to cut down on the toast and chocolate as I think you already know, diabetic or not. Here is a short extract about how we advise our members to eat from our basic information that we give to members who are newly diagnosed, written by the Forum Monitors, which is also good for non-diabetics:

Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

This is NOT a low carb diet suggestion, just a reduction in your intake of carbohydrate. You have to decide yourself how much of a reduction will keep your blood glucose levels in control.

The main carbs to avoid OR reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, starchy root veg and also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

cezzie

Thanks for your reply , will go to GP when they have an appointment especially as been between 3 to 5mmol today and l have just wanted to sleep all day. Thanks Cezzie