1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Freestyle Libre Sensor: highly inaccurate??

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by TedTomato, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt Type 3c · Well-Known Member

@bravopapa I believe the Dexcom is significantly more expensive, but can’t remember how much, which is why I bought the Libre.

(As I said, I don’t have any issues with the Libre’s accuracy.)

2. DunePlodder

DunePlodder Type 1 · Well-Known Member

3. bravopapa

bravopapa Type 1 · Member

So I spoke with Libre CS and they have offered a replacement sensor. Not a great experience for the first sensor and no apology or goodwill from a rather robotic team. I have over 20 readings that have been taken in parallel with a finger blood test on the Expert. Over the 20 the average difference is exactly 3mmol and a %change of 25%.

Libre "should " work out at around £100 per month. Dexcom offers a subscription service of £160 per month for 4 transmitters and 26 sensors over a 12 month period. Assuming 3 weeks per sensor then this again is as near £100 per month as well.

My only issue was sensor size (with the transmitter attached) for an 8 year old, and the application device. I have a Blucon on order and will use that with xDrip+ for nighttime alerts and just leave it as a flash meter during the day.

I have told Libre CS that should the next sensor be no different I want a full refund. Anyone getting on with Libre I will offer the bluecon on here for sale should I go this route.

Just wanted to say what a great community this is. Its such a daunting topic and I wanted to thank everyone for their patience and help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mickw 2

Mickw 2 Type 1 · Member

Read lots of info with tolerances between , libre and finger pricking . I used acucheck mobile then moved over to Medtronic link meter difference in reading 2 mmol and have any of you ever taken a reading. Then repeated second later and got a totally differnt reading I use libre first sensor. And it' about 1 mmol lower than the medtronic link meter but which is correct the bm meter or libre . The hba1c well tell .

• Like Like x 1
  5. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

um....no they don't. you must have contacted them on delivery day, I'm having to wait three weeks for my replacement :mad:

6. hh1

Ouch!!! :arghh:

7. TedTomato

TedTomato Prediabetes · Active Member

I called them on a Monday morning, and I received the replacement on the next day, Tuesday. At the same time, their website was indicating some delays in shipments, so I can only assume they set some stock aside for replacements.

Is it the first time you ask for a replacement?

8. hh1

No, I'd had one before because one of my sensors fell off. That was before all the current stock problems.

9. TedTomato

Maybe they therefore prioritise people who ask for a replacement the first time...

10. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    upload_2018-5-13_10-26-56.png

• Hug Hug x 1
  11. hh1

Boy do I get that! Hope you're sending it back!

• Like Like x 1
  12. TedTomato

After trying 3 Libre Sensors, I am done with it:

* First sensor was overestimating glucose levels quite significantly
    * Second sensor was underestimating most of the time
    * Last sensor was overestimating again (sometimes up to 3 MMol/L) and fell off after 10 days anyway

My own conclusion: promising technology, but not fit for purpose yet, apart from getting some vague trends, ignoring actual values displayed

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. urbanracer

Retired Moderator

My current sensor and the previous one were surprisingly accurate.

The sensor that I had so many problems with 4 weeks ago was replaced by Abbott and although the sticky pad was firmly attached to me, the sensor had started to come away from the sticky pad.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CranberryIce

CranberryIce Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I feel your pain!

I have taken advice of other members from this forum and inserted my new (current) sensor in 24-48 hours before I was due to activate it.

However now that I have activated it isn't matching up to my BG meter. I am out by 2-3mmol every-time. It has been 24 hours since I have activated it. Do I give it time to settle? Or do I call Abbot?

I assumed the whole point of inserting the sensor earlier- was to avoid this!

15. urbanracer

Retired Moderator

What I do in this circumstance is keep using it for week before I call Abbott. I take the view that if it's consistently 2 mmol low then I still know roughly where I am and I get a few days use out it. It might correct itself, it might not.

For me it only becomes unusable when the readings are disproportional and erratic when compared to real glucose readings.

I awoke this morning to 2.9 on the Libre. Got over the initial shock and thought to myself 'I feel OK ' and sure enough my real level was 5.4. This sensor only has 3 days to go and appears to be developing a fault.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CranberryIce

To be fair most of the sensors I have had (apart from one well dodgy one) have settled after 2 days or so. So I will try and be patient (although I don’t think I could last a week).

But you make a good point, at-least I know its consistently out by 1-2mmol.

17. BridgetLamb

BridgetLamb Type 1 · Member

Hi

18. BridgetLamb

BridgetLamb Type 1 · Member

Hi sorry about that I ordered four today from super Drug get them in 3 days . Could not get reader was told I Phone 7 will do .was very excited untill I have read your experience.

19. CranberryIce

Spoke too soon!
    Difference between the readings on my meter and the libre are getting bigger ‍♀️

I did feel some discomfort after inserting this sensor (a dull/achy kind of feeling). It is on the back of my arm ish. Could it be that I have not inserted it properly?

20. Mqaiser

Mqaiser · Newbie

I bought online and compare readings of freestyle with accucheck proforma, it is out 4mmol/l. Maybe it’s only 2 hours. I will wait another 12 hours and compare again

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook