1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Freestyle sensors placement

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by GiveItAway, Jun 10, 2021.

1. GiveItAway

GiveItAway · Newbie

Hi.

I had a telephone appointment with the doctor the other day and he said that it was okay to use the stomach as an alternative placement to the back of the arm.

Though officially I think there is no word from Abbott about placing the sensors anywhere but the aforementioned back of arm.

What I did forget to ask the doctor was exactly where on the stomach he was implying it was okay to place the sensor. Does anyone have any ideas?

I want to give the backs of my arms a rest and besides I have been losing some days of the sensors life recently (possibly due to sleeping on my side and putting pressure on the sensors).

I am quite lean so not much fat if that makes a difference.

I looked at some videos on youtube about this but quite frankly they sucked big time. The usual Youtube cockiness and style over substance.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@GiveItAway if you manage your diabetes with an insulin pump, you will need to ensure you keep your sensor away from your cannula. Apart from that I think the only advice I am aware of is to place it where you have sufficient padding (don't try to insert it into your hip bone ... it hurts!) and keep it away from waistbands or anything which may catch it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use stomach regularly as previously stated as long as it’s not too near belt either side of belly button does me I’ve used chest too

5. XxTinkerxx

XxTinkerxx Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Tried on the inner arm for the first time. Readings are good and no danger of falling off. 20210610_164155.jpg

6. Struma

Struma Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I read you're not overly impressed with the YouTube videos.
    But, you might like the channel Type One Talks. I send the link for abdomen placements:

Hope this one is better.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

That's where I bang mine. :)
    Not on "your" arm of course.. ;)

No "compression lows" either.
    The only time if noticed a little oddness is on the right arm whilst hand sawing wood. (But only correlating with the activity.)

• Like Like x 1
  8. XxTinkerxx

When I do a finger prick test, I notice that my readings were 2 below consistently.

Will try elsewhere.

9. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If it's consistently below by 2 then just add 2 each time you scan and it's accurate. It's the sensors that the amount they're out by varies with each scan that means they're unreliable that present the issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TimLibre

TimLibre · Member

C238CEE6-8D3A-4F77-B99C-5D8708CF60F3.png
    leg on the part where you could take your insulin works perfectly for me.

When placing try to relax your leg (so dont fully stretch or bend your leg, but let it a bit loose so that theres a ‘buffer’)

of course this isnt officially approved, but have been doing it for years.

• Like Like x 1
    #10 TimLibre, Jun 15, 2021 at 8:54 PM
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  11. holdem

holdem · Active Member

Hi is the motivation for not putting the sensor on the suggested area more of a practical thing (to avoid it coming off/ looking a bit strange) rather than to get a more accurate blood level?

Has anyone found an area to be more accurate than others?

thanks

12. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Master

I put mine just on top of bum cheek pretty accurate readings just as good as arms and less likely to catch on anything

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

What happens when you test on the same side the sensor is placed, roughly 20 minutes after the last sensor reading?

14. XxTinkerxx

Always 2 out.

15. XxTinkerxx

I would but my consultant has access to my readings and makes decisions based on that, so while that is ok for me, it's not for him.

16. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Can you show him a few finger prick tests proving it's consistently out by 2? A good endo should be satisfied by that. My diabetes team always look at Libre results alongside any finger prick tests I do, and have never had a problem. Have to say they're an incredible team though, and I count myself very fortunate, as I know not everyone has this.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook