Freezing veggies?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
A quick question please.

Is it possible to freeze individual portions of cooked celeriac/swede/combination of both mash?

I have only had the mashed celeriac once and really enjoyed it so would like to make it a regular addition to my diet. My family are set in their ways (spuds! :roll: ) so it would be easier and a lot more economical if I could prepare then freeze portions.

Also wanted to know if it is safe to freeze dishes if cream is included..just a little.

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
ladybird64 said:
Is it possible to freeze individual portions of cooked celeriac/swede/combination of both mash?

Yes. I've frozen mashed cauliflower, swede, potato, carrot, fine, cant see why celeriac would be any different :)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's only one way to find out :idea:

wiflib

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Freezing anything mashed or pureed wil make it wetter once it is defrosted - because of the liquid content big ice cyrstals form - it is fine to freeze them but they will be sloppier once you defrost them,

a couple of ways round it is to tip them into a fine mesh sieve to defrost therm so that the water runs away - I usually put a piece of kitchen paper inside first to take up the extra - or if you "dry Fry"them in a pan stirrring all the time to stop them sticking or burning this will evaporate some of the water.

Personally I don't like frozen mashed stuff because of the way it alters the texture so the way I do it is portion it out before mashing and then freeze it and mash it when I reheat it.

Freezing things with cream is fine - though if it does have a lot of cream it may split when defrosted - not harmful but it can alter the taste slightly and can look a bit grey and grainy.

it's down to personal taste really
like wiflib said - try it and see- :)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I havent tried freezing cooked celeriac but freezing it raw is a disaster it just goes to mush :!:
I am educating my husband to celeriac by adding it to mashed spuds and increasing the quantity gradually sneaky eh :lol:
CAROL

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Ho-hum. :? I had a look on the internet too, some say you can, some say you can't..yaddayadda. :lol:

I think I shall probably cook (boil) and then freeze as I don't like watery mash either! The cream would only be a tiny bit, I can't stand too much rich tasting food.

Carol, good idea but my Glaswegian other half has an inbuilt radar that detects anything even faintly low carbish..I'm sure the bu..darling would know if I just added a teaspoonful!

Mind you, he does most of the cooking and it was him that made my yummy celeriac mash last time so I had better not rock the boat! :lolno: