Gastroparesis...

Emzie-Bub-xo

Ok so I've just been diagnosed with gastroparesis and I know what it is and everything I was just looking for advice info that any of you lovelies might have :) I've been diabetic for 13 years and consultant told me it was "common" in people of my age and length of time I've been t1, I dont want to question their knowledge on the subject but I find it easier to understand from people who have been there and got it...

Elc1112

Never been diagnosed with, or heard of gastroparesis, if I'm honest! I was, however, diagnosed with coeliacs disease (allergy to gluten) not lon after I found out I was diabetic. Coeliacs is an auto-immune condition so is common in people with type 1.

Em

C

catherinecherub

Emzie-Bub-xo said:
Ok so I've just been diagnosed with gastroparesis and I know what it is and everything I was just looking for advice info that any of you lovelies might have :) I've been diabetic for 13 years and consultant told me it was "common" in people of my age and length of time I've been t1, I dont want to question their knowledge on the subject but I find it easier to understand from people who have been there and got it...

Cannot help you much I'm afraid. :( :(
I hope, with treatment and advice, that things will get better for you.
I am enclosing this link so that people who have no knowledge of this condition have some basic information.
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/gastroparesis

tyrex

Have the occasional bout of it myself. Same symptoms of eating a really high carb meal (going hypo first then hyper later), but happening with a normal food intake. Seems to happen more frequently when my blood sugar is not as well controlled as normal, although there are exceptions of course. Not officially diagnosed yet, but for me the problem is minor and more about decent blood sugar management than affecting my lifestyle. I've had T1D for around 24 years so I suppose I'm susceptible to most complications at this point.

I guess it occurs once a month or so for me, I manage episodes by chewing some gum as soon as the problem occurs, which aids digestion, drinking Lucozade to correct the hypo (which seems to absorb much more easily than the food sitting in my stomach), then monitoring the blood sugar carefully as it comes back up. Will often do a correction dose to cover the Lucozade at the next opportunity to bring things back into line.

To prevent future recurrances, I simplify my diet for a day or two after, eating more easily-digestible foods and staying on top of the sugars, after a few days I can go back to eating big pasta meals and curries!

Hope that helps.
Ty