Getting children in target? Is it possible all the time?

Angiejean

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am a mum of a newly diagnosed diabetic.
I have found some aspects ok. The carb counting etc. As a calorie counter I don't find counting the carbs hard just getting the right result at the end. My daughter is very active with really high energy and it's all or nothing with her which is why the same food, insulin over the same days never gets the same result. I liked your posts about tips for parents as her results are all I think about at the moment. All I ask her is " are you ok" truth be told unless she is low any highs don't make her feel any different and when we look at the number it is a real shock sometimes. Does anybody get it right all the time? I would say on average we get 3 out of 4 results each day in target. Is this normal or do most people get more? . In target being between 4-10. I find myself worrying really badly when it is above 10 but from what I think I have grasped from these discussions is that the sugars mustn't be high for too long and the occasional high isn't the end of the world - which sometimes as a parent it feels like as I see that result is a failure somehow it then stresses me out till the next test 4 hours later to see if we are back in range. I find that I can't keep testing her in between because that would drive her mad.
What are the results that most other parents get and how much do they test? I do feel that unless you know someone else you never really know what the "average real" results are for children.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I think things are going pretty well from what I'm reading, the best thing is to try not to worry too much with an odd high. My grandaughter is 6 now and diagnosed type 1 at 2 1/2, years her blood sugars are all over the place and I do worry about her diabetes, but she doesn't carb count. and there are no big concerns at the moment (that I know of)
If you have any worries or concerns then you could have another chat with the diabetic team.
It is quite a big shock to all family members ( especially the parents ) and it should get a little easier in time :) But all children are different with their age, hormones, school, exams , activity etc

Bumping this thread up.

Take care RRB :)