Getting off insulin

A

Anonymous

Having just seen the piece on the news this evening about the DVLA and European legislation for drivers at risk of Hypo's, I think that it's time for me to try and get off insulin.

Anybody out there managed that ?

S

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Yep, Guilty as charged :crazy:
Did it by gradually reducing insulin over period (months) until only a few units basal then substituted tablets with docs help.
Take ut gently & good luck :clap:

Grazer

Well done Fergus, shows what you can do with determination and a plan.
Swimmer, you need to be very careful as Fergus said: loads of testing as you reduce dose gradually in line with (presumably) carb reduction and see how you go. I would say have a word with the Doc first, to get him onside and make sure there are no other factors in your case making it impractical. Wether it works or not will depend on the degree to which your pancreas is already compromised. I've not done it as I've never been on insulin, but I'm sure there will be people like Fergus around to answer specific queries as you go.
Good luck!

iHs

I doubt at the moment that I will ever be able to stop insulin altogether unless stem cell therapy using umbilical chords from babies takes off. It looks promising.............

Also the artificial closed loop pancreas is also being put to the test in clinical trials in America.

In the meantime unless people using insulin (because there is no life in their pancreas gland), decide to use Bernsteins approach which will probably greatly reduce hypos although in the long term might cause other health problems (the bowel) and might also cause insulin resistance, the only other way is to insist that all hospitals supply cgm to all their patients. Some hospitals are now receiving funding for cgm.

If GPs start to restrict teststrips for insulin dependant people to only 2 strips per day then either a change to a completely different insulin regime is going to be required or to use a cgm.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback guys. I realise it's not an option for type 1's, but I think I rushed in to Insulin because I was having trouble with my control and was probably pushing too hard for a 'magic bullet' solution.

I haven't spoken to my GP (he's probably on another exotic holiday, bless him) but my DB nurse was enthusiastic when I asked.

Fergus, did you manage to get the DVLA to reverse the restriction on your driving license (if you'd had a restriction) and has it changed your GP's attitude to the provision of sensing strips?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Swimmer2,
Still working on DVLA re minibuses/upto 7.5tonne :cry:
As on Gliclazide nominally still require strios officially :D

Edited as missed the point