Getting pump!

annettekp

Hi everyone

We saw the consultant by video conference last week and Erland will get his pump in November.

We've got very mixed feelings about this but I hope the flexibility will make left easier for us in the long term and improve the swings in his blood sugar.

We get 2 days training here next month and then head for the sunny city of Aberdeen for a week while they sort basal rates and we get more training.

Off to surf sites for pump harnesses!

Annette

sugar2

Fantastic news...and also that you get so much training. I uess thst some of this will be ablout the pump and little ones, but I really hope it coes well. There are some very knowledgeable people on this site..so anu specific questions, I am sure someone can help.

jacquiel

Great news!
We are waiting to talk to nurse about my daughter getting one!
Fingers crossed, and i hope you post about how you get on!
What sort of pump are you getting? My daugher (16) likes the accuchek combo.

Regards,
jacquie

teresaburr

Hi Jacquie. That is great re getting a pump. My daughter Amy is now 2 1/2 and she has had hers for 5 months now. Our life has changed dramatically since getting the pump and i would never return to injections, especially for a child this age. I would say that the 1st 4 months are really hard work getting the basal correct, especially with illnesses and growth spurts etc and it will take up so much of your time, however i will never look back and my daughter has changed dramatically since getting her pump - less moody, more energy!
I went on to an ebay site to get brilliant pump bags from a lady who makes them in america, about £7 each, well worth it. Amy wears her pumps in her bag which is on a velcro elastic around her waist, even at nightime.
You will have to carb count, but there is so much flexibility with the pump, particularly with daytime snacking, refusal to eat and times of illness.
We still have to test Amy during the night though which is hard, but at the end of the day it is her health that matters. Good luck!
Teresa