1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Glucagon emergency kit

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by MrsDiabetic, Mar 18, 2022.

1. Mungobean

Mungobean Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I asked my GP about having a kit at home, because sometimes I take quite a long time to come out of a hypo, and I had three shots of glucagon while in hospital recently, and it seemed to do the trick when I was struggling to get my numbers up. Anyway, my GP is lovely, but I may as well have asked for pink elephants on prescription, with the reaction I got. He said he had never prescribed it, or heard of it being prescribed. He is going to do some digging for me though, and if he gets nowhere, then I will ask the consultant when I speak to her in May.

2. johnpol

johnpol Type 1 · Well-Known Member

was prescribed it when first diagnosed, but haven't got around to getting another one, but with these very erratic bloods lately and having hypo's a lot lately i'd better get another one for peace of mind.

• Hug Hug x 2
  3. RoughcutAU

RoughcutAU · Well-Known Member

My Endocrinologist prescribed one about 3 months after my initial diagnosis - more as a piece of mind measure. Thankfully i’ve never been close to needing it. *touch wood*

4. PIPPO_PIPPI

PIPPO_PIPPI Type 1 · Member

Hi. I'm T1 from my 16th, and now I'm 78, so I have a long time experience on this.... ;)
    I had many severe hypos in these years, mainly when there was nothing except sugar to fight them, but finally Glucagon became available, and this helped a lot, but not definitely.
    About 12 years ago I had a very bad hypo, I was alone at home, and tried to make my Glucagen injection, invane. I was so confused that I didn't succeed in preparing the syringe, so I folt in coma.
    Fortunately my wife returned home shortly later, understood the situation, made me the Glucagen, and I quickly woke up from coma without problems.
    All this to explain that sometimes Glucagen or Glucagon or as you call it, can be not enough because it needs preparation, and when we are close to coma the operation may be too difficult to be performed.
    Fortunately, now we have a new weapon, Baqsimi, that is a nose spray ready for the use, like a colds nasal spray, and moreover it can stay at ambient temperature, so can be taken in our pocket or purse, ready to be used wherever and whenever .
    It is costly, alas, and I don't know if it is freely available in your country, but I think you should contact your Endo abour this.
    I have used it recently, when I was alone at home, and without any problem.
    Andrea :)

5. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I asked my endo team about this last year, and it wasn't available in the uk then.

6. Lapitosa

Lapitosa · Newbie

You should always have an emergency kit in your house. This is a must for everyone because sometimes there might be no time to go to a pharmacy, and you will have to suffer from pains or fever until someone gets you the pills.

7. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Lapitosa , welcome to the forum!
    While I agree it's a good idea to have an emergency kit at home, this thread deals with glucagon emergency kits.
    Do you have diabetes?

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You should get the kit no problem I’ve used one in the past after having a hypo taking lucozade etc then being immediately sick so I took the glucagon injection I can say it works really quick

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. paulgwilson

paulgwilson Type 1 · Newbie

My son was diagnosed 4 weeks ago. Was prescribed one straight away.

10. Hopeful34

Glucagon is now available in the uk ready mixed in a pen, it's called Ogluo.

11. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Have had one 6 years so unfortunately that was not true.

12. Hopeful34

My reply was about being prescribed Baqsimi, the nasal glucagon.. Have you had this for 6 years?

• Like Like x 1
  13. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Are right. No, misunderstanding.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook