Type 1 Glucophage (metformin)

cyrryan

Hi
Hope I can get advice on medications. I am type 1 diabetic and have been on Glucophage (metformin) for several years now. Recently, I read that tablets are not great for the stomach and so I am anxious if I need to continue taking them. I also take aspirin and cholesterol tabs. Are we type 1 diabetics required to take them and what are the benefits? Are there alternatives like more exercise?? Can we stop taking them? Any advice would be welcome?

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar, in all it's iterations.
Hi
Hope I can get advice on medications. I am type 1 diabetic and have been on Glucophage (metformin) for several years now. Recently, I read that tablets are not great for the stomach and so I am anxious if I need to continue taking them. I also take aspirin and cholesterol tabs. Are we type 1 diabetics required to take them and what are the benefits? Are there alternatives like more exercise?? Can we stop taking them? Any advice would be welcome?
I was fortunate that my metformin didn't upset my stomach. I'm also on statins. I won't take aspirin though. I use ibuprofen/advil however.