Type 2 Glucose testing

Laura.x.x.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I’m new here, this is such a wonderful forum! I’m just reading some posts and realising I know very little about diabetes at all! I notice there’s so much type 2 diabetics testing blood sugar! I am type 2 and haven’t been told to do this? When I was diagnosed I was put on metformin and sent on my way really. Should I be testing? I’m 43 diagnosed a year ago.

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Laura.x.x. welcome, even though you probably really don't want to be here eh!
So basically if you don't test, how can you know what your blood glucose is doing or how different foods affect you? The NHS is so backwards in it's approach!
I was given a meter by the diabetes nurse at my surgery on initial T1 diagnosis, but when, for a brief period they thought I was T2 not T1, I was reminded about having been 'given' a BG meter at every opportunity as if they cost £1million and came out of the nurses own pocket. So sadly getting a meter as a T2 not on insulin is unlikely on the NHS. There are knowledgeable folks on here, and forum threads that can point you in the direction of the best meter/test strip/£ combo if you want to test.
Some people do get overwhelmed with the testing, so it may not be for everyone, but I'd say it is worth investing in so that you can take charge, and start putting the pieces together, whether that is testing 6 or 7 times a day or once.
This site and forum are a goldmine of info and support, I couldn't have got through the last 18 months without many of the characters on here.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Should I be testing?
It's an individual choice

I found regular testing invaluable at the start, now I choose to do just one a day so I keep on track.
Some people find it makes them too anxious or too worried, others love the data and info and motivation testing gives.

Totally up to you, and it does not have to be a commitment for life. You could try it for a while, then stop. You are the boss of you!