going shopping , can you help plz?

C

catherinecherub

Hi Gratope,

A belated welcome from me.

If you read the information for newly diagnosed diabetics it will explain about why you need to test. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

Type 2's were always given meters but the cost is the deciding factor now, nothing to do with management of the condition.. You cannot rely on the HBA1c test as this only gives an average of your readings and does not show the highs and lows of the previous 8 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )
Thankyou Catherinecherub, the advice is most welcome. Thanks everyone for the help given already, yes even you Sidbonkers, :twisted:

roxy44

Gratope

i had to buy my meter, go on ebay..there not cheap but as as dear as you think, and if your able to afford they..well worth the money :)

Gratope

Dislikes
Hi Roxy44,
Regarding the test kits, I initially asked for one as I wanted to be pro-active from the start. I asked to buy one, the practice nurse said I didn't need one. She did say if I really wanted one they had them there and they FREE ! So I am going in for my last "talk" soon. I am going to ask for one.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Gratope,

She might be willing to give you a meter, she has all makes, but you will not be prescribed test strips unless you are very lucky.

As you don't need one with whistles and bells on, ask her which one needs the cheapest test strips. You can pay as much as £25. for a tub of 50 strips :shock: People here will be able to advise you where to get the cheapest test strips.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Google Glucorx
for a cheap Meter @ £4.90 and 50 test strips are £11.94
http://www.glucorx.co.uk/glucorx.html

You can pick up most makes of meters on ebay
ACCU-CHEK Aviva meter system I have seen test strips go for £8 for 50
also seem to have the most strips on offer on ebay :wink:

Bob

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, gratope, go to diabetes products thread n you will see I have put a post on with an accu check mobile meter complete box set never opened going 'free' all I ask is the postage to be paid, I could flog it on ebay, but there are greater needs on here with type2's unable to get a meter with nurses blocking tactics. If you have been properly diagnosed with diabetes type 2 or 1 then YES you DO need a meter..... Anna.

Gratope

Dislikes
Hi Roxy, just to keep you up to date, tried weetabix ( 2 biscuits ) with half water and milk, it all seemed ok but I did have headache later on. Still no meter so cannot yet check to see what my BGI went to. Burgen bread was very expensive, so I have kept to the two slices of nimble wholemeal with a poached egg, or bacon medallions. Hoping to get a meter/strips soon. It really is learning every day. I really do think you should be given a meter and strips when your diagnosed. We should not have to fight for one. ( only on a small pension at moment )

Gratope

Dislikes
Wow, once again, thanks you guys ( anna29-Bowell) don't know what to say, never had so much help. I am going for my third ( well delayed ) educational visit very shortly. So I will take the diabetes nurse at her word and push for a meter ( I will ask for the one which uses the cheapest strips ). Or I will get them off e-bay. :lol: