Good GP care?

mandydowns

Hi

My sugars have been as high as 25 this week - I am only taking 4x 500mg metformin daily but have been on amytriptylene for 3 months.
Feel really unwell today and phoned sugar asking to speak with diabetic nurse about readings and symptoms. Was told that because my review is not until July I would have to wait - when I stood my ground I was told that the earliest appointment that I could have to see the Dr was 25th April - is this acceptable?

Would appreciate your thoughts :problem:

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
That is not acceptable. I have been there to and 25 is way to high. Tell them you will make an official complaint if they dont get you in earlier. I made an official complaint.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Diabetes!! People who dont understand. Being overweight and hungry.
Does your surgery do telephone consultations? I would ask for one, if you cant get one, I would then ask to speak to the surgery manager, and then tell her what you think and that you are going to A&E as this is unnaceptable, go to A&E, get treated, complain to the hospital, then make an official complaint about the surgery, that should make them sit up and think.
My surgery has slightly easier access to the nurses so maybe that would be worth a go.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
:thumbdown: to the care Mandy! Does your gp practise not do morning/afternoon emergency appointments, mine do but you have to ring on the day or come down and sit and wait.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Mandy downs
I would keep on at them until I got seen.
If I felt very unwell and they wouldn't help me, I'd go to A&E and then complain to my PCT.
hana

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If your levels are that high, there is little your GP could actually do other than test for ketones in your wee and then refer you to A&E. If you don't have wee sticks, take yourself to hospital.

wiflib

mandydowns

Thaks for your responses. Was refused an appointment with Diabetic Nurse too.......I appreciate that the Doctor may not be able to do much, but it would be really nice if I felt SUPPORTED by my surgery - will they only take notice if I have a stroke or heart attack?
My surgery doesn't do 'sit and wait' - will get off to A & E if I feel concerned for my health. Trouble is, I dont know what would be classed as an emergency? :(

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A blood sugar level in the high twenties for days is an emergency. You can often feel quite well for a while and then it all goes belly up.

Your other option is NHS direct. You can ask to speak to a nurse so at least you will be able to actually have a conversation with someone who will listen. Good luck.

wiflib

elainechi

gp and practise nursesdon.t always know what is happening front of desk. not all receptionists are ogers but most. i was telling an aqquaintance,a drs receptionist about my daughters diabetes , when she popped out with her saying "oh gosh she must be really fat to have diabetes so young. don.t you feed her properly" !!!!!! love it eh???? next time you see the nurse say can i phone anytime if im worried. they always say yes and tell the receptionist too. to complain ask to talk to the practice manager. they all have them. hope your blood go down soon xx