Good results but what to expect next...

IamResistance

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Day,

Summary:

A year ago my blood sugar was around 10 mmol/L, HbA1c - 6.1 %, Homa-IR - around 5, Triglycerides - 6.7 mmol/L. In January'23 I started following a variant of OMAD diet with fasting 48/72 hours. My blood sugar went down steadily and in July'23 it was 6.5 mmol/L in the morning, and around 5 - the lowest during the sleep time. HbA1c went down to 5.4 %.
Suddenly, and I don't understand why exactly, my blood glucose went down sharply around 3 weeks ago (CGM would show 5.7 in the morning, 4.4 the nightly lowest), my today's lab test shown morning blood glucose - 4.9 mmol/L, insulin - 8.6 μU/mL, HOMA-IR-1.88. Even though the test results are quite good, I will continue OMAD with fasts for so long as I enjoy it. Also I need to take care of my cholesterols (in mmol/L): HDL - 1.03, Triglycerides - 2.5 (total chols are good, LDL is good) as it shows that my liver is still insulin-resistant.
Please tell me what I should expect next on this way, are such results sustainable or I need to add some activities/sports or do anything else.
Many Thanks!

TLDR,
Dear Resistance,

Around a year ago (I was 47 then), when my BP suddenly spiked to 150/100, I was diagnosed with high blood glucose ~10, Homa-IR around 5, HbA1c - 6.1, Triglycerides - 6.7. This accident I believe was caused by my youngest's Epstein-Barr virus which sprung among the whole family. I gained some weight, meaning from 110 kg with some daily sport activities (weight lifting) to 118 without any sports during a couple of years. I have always been struggling with being overweight, that dictated my adherence towards heavy sports, like weight lifting. All together, my Homa-IR / HbA1c / Triglycerides suggested that I had insulin resistance.
My GP (sucks) suggested that I used metformin, then more metformin, without correcting my diet a bit (as a weight lifter I almost never eat fast carbs, only porridge, veggies and a lot of proteins from eggs, meat, etc). As EBV makes one's intestines so, that eating feels painfully quite naturally, I by some natural reasons was directed towards eating less, and, as I was aware that eating often makes me insulin-resistant, I myself decided to skip breakfasts.
By the magical power of Youtube some time soon (around the NY 2023) a video of benefits of intermittent fasting was shown to me and I commenced my journey into the miracle of not-eating.
My journey went through skipping breakfasts, then skipping breakfasts and dinners - which means switching to OMAD. When I started OMAD my BP went to slightly below my "sportsman" time - 121/73 on average. Later, keeping OMAD, I was doing 48 and 74 fasts weekly. Literally, eating OMAD Fri-Mon, 48 Fastin (skipping lunch on Tue), lunching Wed, skipping lunch on Thu, lunching Fri. Next week it would be eating OMAD Thu-Mon, fasting 72 hours, eating OMAD again. Was it hard to me to do? Not a single bit, I was flying like I was 15 yrs younger. I never felt hunger.
In the early summer'23 I passed my blood tests again, and the results were like this: glucose - 6.5, HOMA-IR = 3.17, HbA1c - 5.7, Triglycerides - 4.5.
I continued doing my OMAD/48/72 fasts and 3 weeks ago my IR got broken, and I continued enjoying my energetic life, free of midday naps, night sweating, constant cravings, etc, when all of a sudden...
All of a sudden my morning glucose went to 5.7 (as my CGM shows to me), my pre OMAD glucose went down to 4.4 and I started to feel a hunger again. Indeed, the feeling of hunger that I would feel if I would not eat for a day 20 years ago. I have a today's lab test: BG- 4.9, insulin - 8.6, HOMA-IR-1.88.. My weight is around 98.
Perfect, yeah? Not so perfect for my liver - it is still insulin-resistant: HDL - 1.08, Triglycerides - 2.5. Even thought it is all ways better than a year ago, my liver is still complaining (I didn't seize alcohol and sometimes (more and more rarely) do binge drinking), might I ask you for suggestions what might happen next to me as I am guessing there might be people who achieved more and went far so far.

Many Thanks!

Last edited:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum @IamResistance

I don’t fast but lots of our T2 forum members do use OMAD quite successfully to control their T2, from what I understand of your numbers you seem to be doing very well and doing everything right, hopefully those who do OMAD or fast will be along to share their experiences with you soon