• Guest - w'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the 2026 Survey »

Guess what...

SepticTank

Member
Messages
10
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya, newbie to the site and possibly the condition. If you think your diagnosis was lacking them you'll understand my situation.

57 year old Englishman who has lived as a resident and citizen in the US for over a decade and suffered from their dietary norms - not necessarily the worst ones either! I have had high blood pressure since my late teens, my UK GP's said they'd keep an eye on it but the US insisted that I take medications to lower it or they wouldn't pass my medical to enter the country... working outside in Florida meant that my NP, Nurse Practitioner, (yeah, best of luck seeing a GP in the US, I haven't yet seen one!) had a nightmare selecting the right concoction of meds, my BP went through the roof and eventually she declared that she had it under control - which meant that she'd successfully returned it to non-med UK levels :rolleyes: - and I've been stuck on beta blockers and a calcium channel blocker since. That, and some injuries here and there put paid to my running days and my weight soared from 97kg when I entered the US to 120kg back in July.

I have been pre-diabetic since moving from Florida to South Carolina five years ago and know that I should have taken more care of my diet and exercise but life happens and Achilles tendonitis has not really helped with exercising. Probably should add that last year my LDL cholesterol wasn't great and NP put me on statins, which I appear to be allergic to so none of that malarkey for me!
Fast forward to late July this year, working in the back garden I must have encountered Poison Ivy on a Saturday morning and by the time I saw my NP the following Monday morning I wanted to rip my skin off (and had a pretty good go) from my scalp to my toes. My NP decided that this was a great time to take my annual bloods and, low and behold, my HGB A1C was 6.5%, glucose 9.2 mmol/L (whereas it had been sat around 6.7 for the last five years). The next day there was a message in my online patient portal which, I kid you not, read 'you now have diabetes'...
I had a follow up for the excema outbreak two weeks later and told the NP I was busy rectifying my diet and exercise, found out a couple of weeks later that there was a prescription waiting for me at the chemists when I went to refill the Metoprolol which I politely told them I didn't want and that is the sum extent of my diagnosis and medical professions action to date...Subsequently, Google tells me that one's sugar levels are going to be somewhat elevated when undergoing the kind of stress on the system that excema can cause.

Some 68 days later I have shed 25.4 lbs, my fasting blood glucose levels today were 6.1mmol/L, 7.2 immediately after my steel cut oat porridge, 5.5 two hours later, 8.9 immediately after an unexpected lunch stop at a far Eastern establishment involving crispy aubergine starter and Kung Pao chicken :stop::shifty::arghh:, 6.4 two hours later and now, 6.3 some 3.5 hrs after a light dinner of cold tinned mackerel with assorted veg done on the bbq.
Blood pressure has been at it's best in ten years and this morning was 111/75 with a pulse of 59 (thank you beta blockers :rolleyes:). I don't get low sugar symptoms nor anything that is immediately attributable to high blood sugar issues, so you're guess is probably better than mine.
Needless to say that besides the BP monitor that I've had for years, I now posses a blood glucose monitor as well.

I told the quack that my goal was 230lbs by mid October and as the surgery couldn't get me an appointment before mid Dec, I'll eat my hat if I haven't hit 220lbs by then.
 
Back
Top