Since being diagnosed as type 2 a few years ago I had my first Hypo yesterday, scary as, I have recently had Gliclazide 40 mg put on my list of meds, metformin 500 2 night and morning. I think I may have had 2 Gliclazide and within about a hour the world changed dramatically. I meet my mate for breakfast Saturday morning we go on our motorbikes, and he though I was still drunk from the night before.seeing as I don't drink that was odd. I forgot I was diabetic. I just eat my pills every day and get on with it. I did have the flu jab Friday. I got a lift home and settled in, felt awful, sounds were echoing, I was sweating, really dizzy. then my other mate called in ,I had just gone to bed, he got me up about an hour into my sleep and said you look awful, said is your meds in order? His mother is diabetic so he knows the signs. I had genuinely forgot I was diabetic! I don't have a test kit but he said have a cup of tea with a spoon of sugar in while I get my moms kit about 1/2 hour later he was back I tested 5.2 that was 1/2 hour after 2 cups of sweet tea! Then I had a bowl of honey coated cereal, he had brought with him. I know what to look for now! Today I feel like i have a light hangover. If it was a hypo it's not nice and i don't want another thank you very much!
Sorry to hear about your hypo, they are not nice!Since being diagnosed as type 2 a few years ago I had my first Hypo yesterday, scary as, I have recently had Gliclazide 40 mg put on my list of meds, metformin 500 2 night and morning. I think I may have had 2 Gliclazide and within about a hour the world changed dramatically. I meet my mate for breakfast Saturday morning we go on our motorbikes, and he though I was still drunk from the night before.seeing as I don't drink that was odd. I forgot I was diabetic. I just eat my pills every day and get on with it. I did have the flu jab Friday. I got a lift home and settled in, felt awful, sounds were echoing, I was sweating, really dizzy. then my other mate called in ,I had just gone to bed, he got me up about an hour into my sleep and said you look awful, said is your meds in order? His mother is diabetic so he knows the signs. I had genuinely forgot I was diabetic! I don't have a test kit but he said have a cup of tea with a spoon of sugar in while I get my moms kit about 1/2 hour later he was back I tested 5.2 that was 1/2 hour after 2 cups of sweet tea! Then I had a bowl of honey coated cereal, he had brought with him. I know what to look for now! Today I feel like i have a light hangover. If it was a hypo it's not nice and i don't want another thank you very much!
Nope I left the bike and got a lift home, i'll be picking it up later today.Sorry to hear about your hypo, they are not nice!
I hope you never went out on the motorbike feeling the way you did? This is risky for yourself and most importantly - others...
It would be advisable for you to get a hold of a BG meter and strips so you can monitor your BG. This is an essential requirement before getting on the bike saddle or behind the wheel of a car.
I hope you're feeling better soon.
Grant
You may want to consider something like this. Would save you the hassle of scribbling all over the blister pack:I have counted my Gliclazide and I did take 2 instead of 1, They are in a blister pack, so i'm going to get a sharpie pen and mark the pack for the future, I Dread to think what would have happened If I had done it on a normal light breakfast day! I usually have a small bowl of porridge, but Saturday is my treat day with the chaps,
A small English 1 bacon, 1 sausage, 1 egg, a few tomatoes and 2 toast, so I had already eaten that, before it set in! I think I would have been barking at the table legs if I hadn't ate such a pile.
I have counted my Gliclazide and I did take 2 instead of 1, They are in a blister pack, so i'm going to get a sharpie pen and mark the pack for the future, I Dread to think what would have happened If I had done it on a normal light breakfast day! I usually have a small bowl of porridge, but Saturday is my treat day with the chaps,
A small English 1 bacon, 1 sausage, 1 egg, a few tomatoes and 2 toast, so I had already eaten that, before it set in! I think I would have been barking at the table legs if I hadn't ate such a pile.
hey up, cheers never knew they existed, I will have a look in the chemist, when i'm out laterYou may want to consider something like this. Would save you the hassle of scribbling all over the blister pack:
http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/saf...eminder.html?gclid=CPTk-ZuCvM8CFdU_Gwod1ZcEyA
Sorry to hear you had a hypo... I remember my first one well too but luckily I was at home when it happened. I was on metformin at the time as well. As you say you now know what your symptoms are so you know what to look out for. I'm in the habit of having juice boxes everywhere... home, in my car, at work, etc. I carry sweets in my handbag too but they don't work as fast. Liquid works much faster with me... so the tea you had would've been great. I wish you the best.
thanks for the reply, I have been to chemist and bought a pill dispenser and a supply of fruit polo sweets, 1 pack for the car one for the bike tool roll, 1 for the jacket.. Never bought sweets for 30 years, what a price. Hopefully I won't make the mistake with my meds again. I didn't realise how powerful Gliclazide are compared to Metformin.! I have an arrhythmic heart condition where they took me into the clinic and gave me drugs to bring on heart symptoms, while monitoring me, maybe they should do that with hypo's so people know what to expect, as I didn't have a clue what was happening to me. I had heard and read about them but until it happens you don't know, plus the fuzzy brain / confusion.stops you thinking right, my sister has been diagnosed 15 years and never had one!
Hi. Here is the DVLA info for you:I may be wrong about this, but I thought Gliclazide is one of the drugs where patients are supposed to be issued with a meter and test their blood glucose before driving - to prevent situations just like this one. If I am right, your surgery has been very remiss in prescribing you the Glic without adequate information and care.
I will tag @Oldvatr because I think he knows the DVLA driving requirements.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?